Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Re: Heart Shot Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Bronze Member

Not too many folks (including most hunters) are willing to freely admit that being the apex predator is “fun” and fundamentally satisfying at a level normally not touched upon during our everyday lives. It has been hard wired into our make up for thousands of years and only more recently suppressed by society. If we were not such successful predators, Cro-Magnon man would still be the dominant hominid walking the earth.

Our civilization blanches (as it rightly should) at the gore of mangled organs and flesh. If it did not, we would not be living within a civilization per say but more a violence dominated plane where every conflict, both major and minor, would be sorted out by death-dealing blows resulting in piles of carcasses over debates regarding who should have the best parking spot at the grocery store.

On the one hand, I too am hesitant to ingest a photo diet of severed and bloody limbs, organs and bodies. (Hopefully, that means I am at least somewhat civilized too.)
One the other hand, I understand all of that destruction goes hand in hand with one of my passions in life…hunting.

Perhaps the overriding reason (beyond my underlying revulsion to guts…I just can’t seem to keep that civilized guy at bay) for my not participating in these displays of mutilation is my hope of converting another non-hunter to my way of life. No one can persuade me that photographic works such as these (livers perforated with 375 H&H caliber bullets are also quite dramatic) can aid our cause in the promotion of the hunting sports to the uninitiated.

My suggestion is for all of our benefit:
If you must make photo records of the brutal reality of hunting, please keep them private. At the very minimum, keep them for display to your fellow non-closeted apex predator friends. I envision them now, pointed teeth, drooling at their mouths, beating clubs on the ground and grunting around a campfire jostling for the best position for the first piece of roasting heart.
Don’t post them to Facebook or some other web-site so they can be used as anti-hunting propaganda by hairy women with tattoos and pierced bodies.

Speaking of hairy women with tattoos and pierced bodies…Wasn’t there a time when those were the very girls who were the most proud of our hunting successes?

My, how times have changed!
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 08-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Always good to hear the opinion of others.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Yup..you know what opinions are like...everyone has one!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Yup..you know what opinions are like...everyone has one!
OK, since you had to go there, here it is ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

As in every debate, there will always be two sides. Opinions, when wielded correctly, are a useful tool, affording us conversation & as previously stated utilization of our hard wired penchant for debate.

There is plausible reasoning why conversations/debate touching on the ethical/moral compass of our sport is generally frowned upon. Hopefully, we can avert that taking place here.... maybe

I do applaud the OP for taking the higher path while expressing their concern; their hypothesis definitely does highlight an area necessary of analysis. While I do agree with Harry Callahan, that opinions usually suffer from a certain odor J I believe part of the original post does hold validity.

On the other hand, the original post, in the context it was delivered, is derivative of a blanket policy. Blanket policies, while constructed with the best of intentions, are usually not conducive to progress (for lack of a better term).

The progress of which I speak is the refinement & improvement of the equipment & technique sportsmen use in the field. While I do agree that Random grotesque photos posted all over the interwebs displayed as nothing more than a self-promoted pat on the back is generally NOT in the best interest of sportsmen.

On the other hand, I recall various threads (pictures included) on this forum that have not only created much discussion but have enhanced the overall knowledge of the more novice shooter. Photographic evidence used in a supporting role during a discussion related to terminal ballistics (when used correctly) can only bolster the argument involved. We can & do learn from what we see inside our quarry & it is my belief that we owe it to the game to share our findings with our fellow sportsmen.

Internal ballistics is a science, hypothesis’ need to be tested & findings should be reported. Would Berger bullets enjoy the reputation afforded them today if we as responsible sportsmen chose to not share our tests/photos & experiences? I don’t think so. What about the smaller companies like Matrix or Cutting Edge? Companies such as these rely on word of mouth from knowledgeable sportsmen as a rudimentary endorsement for the product as well as a basis for improvement of the end product.

Is it necessary to post a gut pile on Face Book? No, that’s akin to dog fighting behind the local PETA building. You're asking for trouble. Does that necessitate non-disclosure across the board? Absolutely not. Places such as LRH not only accept but, on certain occasion encourage dispersion & for good reason.

The fear of offending someone in the caustic world of PC appeasement is understandable however, a small dose of common sense with a discretion chaser is more than enough to rectify the situation.
In this case, a blanket policy is not the “best policy”. There is more than enough averment to show strong argument for both sides of this debate. We owe it to our quarry to know not only what works, but what works better & how to use it more effectively. We owe it to our camaraderie to share our lessons learned; thus enhancing the capability of all sportsmen. The increased capability & lethality of our brethren is the champion of what may be construed as ethics as its finest.

But hey, that's just my opinion.......

t

Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

Extremely well spoken Outlaw +1000
Old 08-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
As in every debate, there will always be two sides. Opinions, when wielded correctly, are a useful tool, affording us conversation & as previously stated utilization of our hard wired penchant for debate.

There is plausible reasoning why conversations/debate touching on the ethical/moral compass of our sport is generally frowned upon. Hopefully, we can avert that taking place here.... maybe

I do applaud the OP for taking the higher path while expressing their concern; their hypothesis definitely does highlight an area necessary of analysis. While I do agree with Harry Callahan, that opinions usually suffer from a certain odor J I believe part of the original post does hold validity.

On the other hand, the original post, in the context it was delivered, is derivative of a blanket policy. Blanket policies, while constructed with the best of intentions, are usually not conducive to progress (for lack of a better term).

The progress of which I speak is the refinement & improvement of the equipment & technique sportsmen use in the field. While I do agree that Random grotesque photos posted all over the interwebs displayed as nothing more than a self-promoted pat on the back is generally NOT in the best interest of sportsmen.

On the other hand, I recall various threads (pictures included) on this forum that have not only created much discussion but have enhanced the overall knowledge of the more novice shooter. Photographic evidence used in a supporting role during a discussion related to terminal ballistics (when used correctly) can only bolster the argument involved. We can & do learn from what we see inside our quarry & it is my belief that we owe it to the game to share our findings with our fellow sportsmen.

Internal ballistics is a science, hypothesis’ need to be tested & findings should be reported. Would Berger bullets enjoy the reputation afforded them today if we as responsible sportsmen chose to not share our tests/photos & experiences? I don’t think so. What about the smaller companies like Matrix or Cutting Edge? Companies such as these rely on word of mouth from knowledgeable sportsmen as a rudimentary endorsement for the product as well as a basis for improvement of the end product.

Is it necessary to post a gut pile on Face Book? No, that’s akin to dog fighting behind the local PETA building. You're asking for trouble. Does that necessitate non-disclosure across the board? Absolutely not. Places such as LRH not only accept but, on certain occasion encourage dispersion & for good reason.

The fear of offending someone in the caustic world of PC appeasement is understandable however, a small dose of common sense with a discretion chaser is more than enough to rectify the situation.
In this case, a blanket policy is not the “best policy”. There is more than enough averment to show strong argument for both sides of this debate. We owe it to our quarry to know not only what works, but what works better & how to use it more effectively. We owe it to our camaraderie to share our lessons learned; thus enhancing the capability of all sportsmen. The increased capability & lethality of our brethren is the champion of what may be construed as ethics as its finest.

But hey, that's just my opinion.......

t
Ok Einstein.

J/K...that was a good post. I believe those pictures are important because it actually tells a very important story of what happened and what went right or wrong. We all learn from visual presentations.

And Clint Eastwood rocks!