Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rapid Fire Magnum bolt rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rapid Fire Magnum bolt rifles

Hey ---- I will say it--the guy is as full of crap (some of his posts are scary) as a Christmas goose! Just because someone has a computer an expert does not one make! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Just because someone has a computer an expert does not one make!

[/ QUOTE ]Are you another distant star? I think so. Now there's three of you on this forum. Is it OK for me to tell the world you're full of crap? There's sure a lot of it coming out of your keyboard. Maybe it's just your computer that's full of crap. Shame on you for giving it a transfusion.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Bronze Member

I will try to make a case to support Bart:

It is a matter of degree (pun intended?). I am sure that at a certain critical temprature damage is done, but below that I doubt it matters much. (either it is doing damage, or not). The human hand is not a good indicator of that critical temprature. And exaust manifold seems very hot to our hand...but below the failure temp for that part. I am sure that a barrel can hold up fine with temps that hurt our hands. There is a BIG differance between a machine gun and a Highpower shooter (I don't think Bart had machine guns in mind). Highpower shooters get barrels HOT (both ATC and LR), and they hold up just about as long as can be expected.

I guess what I am saying is that there is a difference between running them hard, and abuse.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Doug ,

Just wanted to say howdy , so this thread is a good one to sidetrack , you think ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also , like your style , [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jim B.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Well you do try but the facts are what they are---the metals used in military applications are very different esp for machine guns--ever hear of Stellite? I have more than a few knives made of this stuff and it is just about the most abrasion resistant stuff there is. I am sure you have conclusive empirical data evidenced by your exhaustive use of a borescope to validate your contrarian theory of heat and pressure does not accelerate erosion appreciably . I await the presentation of your factual data in this matter. Please Professor do carry on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Otherwise, put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

DougH9,

There is also a major difference between what a high power shooters rifle is chambered in and most of the rounds used by hunters on this chat room.

For instance, compare a 260 Rem or 7mm-08. 140 gr bullet, 45 gr of powder, 2800 fps or so.

7mm AM, 200 gr bullet, 105 gr powder, 3200 fps.

Yes, in the case of a small capacity high power rifle you can pull off more rounds then you can with most of the chamberings in discussion on LRH but still damage is done. If you can not hold the exterior of a rifle barrel bare handed the internal bore temps are MUCH higher and if you keep shooting you do damage with every shot once you hit a certain point.

The example of an exhaust manifold is a poor one. An exhaust manifold simply has to retain its basic, generaly dimensional form. There are no fine precise dimensions that need to stay consistant for top performance like there is in a rifle barrel.

I would agree there is a difference between a high power chambering and most of the rounds we use here on LRH but this is LRH, not highpower.com.

Some newbie reading Bart B post may well destroy a rifle in one outing which no one wants. Comparing high power rifles to high intensity rifles is a very poor idea.

The more I think about it, I should be agreeing with Bart B. As a custom rifle builder it would make sense for me to promote rapid firing of magnum rifles. Would keep me backed up with business for years [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby, I know where you're coming from and there's some truth behind your comments. Three questions, please, so I'll better understand your claim.

How many reloads per case do you get with those high-intensity rounds before they no longer hold primers?

And how many seconds between well-aimed shots (or shots per minute) is the bolt gun rate of fire you're talking about? If the rapid fire shots aren't fired inside a 1 MOA circle on the target, I think it's a waste of time.

How many rounds do 7mm AM barrels last?

I noted your 7mm AM burns 105 grains of powder. With the bore capacity at 41 grains, that's over two and a half times bore capacity. No wonder it's a rapid fire barrel burner.