Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rapid Fire Magnum bolt rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 03:15 AM

Rapid Fire Magnum bolt rifles

Do any of you guys rapid fire your magnum bolt guns? I know heating up the barrel is not good for the life of the barrel but cant be helped some times in a multiple target situation(5-20 in 60seconds) in my 308 its not so bad but my 30cal magnum the barrels too hot to touch 8-10 shots and more.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rapid Fire Magnum bolt rifles

For years I thought rapid fire was harder on barrels (wore 'em out faster) than slow fire. After a conversation with Boots Obermeyer at the Nationals years ago I kind of changed my mind. A few years ago I found this link where Boots Obermeyer's explaining barrel wear vs. heat vs. rapid/slow fire:

http://www.snipersparadise.com/tsmag/june2001.htm

As long as peak pressures don't open primer pockets so they won't hold primers for at least 20 reloads, I don't think rapid fire (less than 15 seconds between shots) will wear out barrels faster than slow fire.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Tikka,

I will have to disagree with Bart B on this one. I have a bit of experience with high case capacity, medium bore wildcats with my Allen Magnums and can tell you for a fact that if you get a barrel hot, that would be say 5 shots in a row though my 7mm AM for example.

If you kept shooting you would produce several throat erosion and heat cracking in as little as 50 rounds fired through a hot barrel.

Now in a 308 or 6.5-284 or something on the lines of that Bart B deals with this would cause damage but not to the dramatic extent as what I have seen in my Allen Magnums or other high intensity wildcat or conventional magnum rifles.

Simply put, bore steel erodes much quicker once the barrel steel temp reaches a certain point if you continue to fire the rifle.

I am not calling anyone a liar here but from what I have witness and seen second hand, what Bart B is saying is about as far from the trueth as you can get.

Sorry bart, just have to disagree on this one. There is a reason that the military used high expansion ratio rounds in their selective fire weapons. Barrel life is pretty much the reason. Also a reason why bores are chrome plated as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

You are 100% correct on this one! I have seen what rapid fire and the heat do with respect to erosion. The uninformed ones as shown above are one reason I do not let people borrow my rifles.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:22 PM

Once again Bart comes up with something that goes against what everyone knows. No surprise. Most of us know that the opposite of what Bart posts is the truth.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Most of us know that the opposite of what Bart posts is the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]OK, Harv, this post is for you: you are a very intelligent and knowledgeable person on rifles.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:17 PM

I am not the most intelligent and knowledgeable person on this site. I am here mostly to learn. You think you know a lot about guns and shooting but some of the crap you post is way off. Than someone has to correct what you say and you get all pissy. We have to correct your posts or some new hunter/shooter might take your info and screw up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that rapid fire/heating a barrel will shorten its life. You keep posting, we'll laugh and correct you.