Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman

Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman-mcmillan-006.jpg

Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman-mcmillan-007.jpg

The top picture shows me blowing another fabulous group with the 210 grain berger bullet. First two through the same hole then jerked one. Ended up .25 MOA which is what this bullet/powder combination has shot through the entire test. Right now if I were going long range hunting with this rifle this would be my load. Also on that target is a group with the remington factory ammo to show how well it shot in this rifle.

The bottom target shows my itch to stretch out the 210 berger load that has been shooting so well. I set the target at an unknown distance as if hunting. I went back to the bench and ranged the target at 911 yards and shot a sub 5" group. I am telling you guys the rifle will shoot. Throughout the test I have tried to be fair showing how several bullets perform in this rifle. I am not supported by and I am not a rep for any company and have no dawg in this fight. I was asked to do this test and am trying to think of ways to best show accurately how this rifle performs. If you guys have a load you want me to try let me know. I am leaving now for the SHOT show and will be back next weekend.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Impressive indeed! Must be a joy to shoot such a well built rifle.
Nice grouping by the way.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Winmag, it is a pleasure to shoot. I just loaded some 210 bergers with my best Retumbo load and going out 800-1000 yards in the morning weather permiting. Got snowed out this morning. For me Retumbo has always delivered the best pressure/velocity ratios with the 300 RUM and heavy bullets considering an extreme listed powder for temp sensitivity. I took care in breaking in the barrel properly and am very pleased with how easy the Schnieder polygon barrel cleans. I am getting minimal fouling with it. Trigger now down to 19 ounces crisp, clean and ready.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Bronze Member

Any chance that you might try loading the 210 Bergers with H1000? I would be curious to see what results you would get. Also, what brass are you shooting?

I'm shooting the same barrel with 28" #5.5 taper and my best accuracy is with the H1000; however, I'm seeing pressure signs at 88 grains.

My load is 86 grains if H1000, Fed 215M primers, Nosler Brass (3,050 fps). My best group is 1.5" @ 700 yards.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks LTLR, I don't have a 300 RUM, but interesting following your reports. I also attended the Shot Show, it was a blast!

Thanks again for the report on the rifle and loads!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I just loaded some H-1000 with the 210's to test. My load with the old H-1000 was 91.5 grains. I used the new powder this time and dropped it to 88 grains to be safe. I am using Remington brass and fed 215 match primers. From your info I hope I am not to hot. 3050-3150 fps is right in the zone and you are there with 86 grains so I will watch carefully. I would not change that load with that kind of group. I think my best with this rifle at 500 yards was around 1.38" or so three shots.

Thanks Capt, I think this year was the biggest show I have seen. Just keeps growing, great for the industry!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

The weather has been very windy for several days and not conducive for testing long range loads. Today it is 20-30 mph steady with gusts over 50. Saturday evening it dropped to 5-10 mph before dark and I shot some 100 yard groups to test some H-1000 loads against some Retumbo loads. As has been my history with this cartridge Retumbo continued to give the best velocity/pressure ratios. This rifle is no different with Retumbo shooting on average 75-100 fps faster with maximum loads. With heavy bullets H-1000 is a little fast burning for this cartridge with the slower burning Retumbo providing the best results. As many of you know I have spent quite a lot of time with the 300 RUM introduced in 1999 since late 1998 and have quite an extensive amount of loading data on it and several of the wildcats off it.

After testing several powders and loads with this rifle the best load so far with the 210 grain Berger bullet is 92 grains of retumbo, fed 215 match primer, with an OAL of 3.760 inches providing a velocity of 3170 fps on average. This load has maintained .25-.35 moa accuracy out of this rifle to 600 yards. When the wind settles I will shoot targets to 1000 yards. The secant ogive on the Berger bullets provide great ballistic coefficients however are critical with seating depth in different rifles. Most times seating depth must be tweaked in each rifle to provide best results. In other words going from 1" groups at 100 yards to .25" groups with a little tweaking of seating depth. 100 yard groups Saturday were excellent and I will be posting those when I get them downloaded.

As I continue to test this rifle the primary factor that continues to impress me is the long range accuracy Mcmillan was able to achieve with this rifle in a 7 3/4 pound package. Exceptional engineering to take out ounces wherever they could while maintaining a serious long range rifle in a large magnum cartridge that has very light recoil while shooting heavy bullets. Recoil is a complete non-factor while shooting this rifle. I can hold the rifle lightly and focus on the target with no concern of recoil. Little engineering marvels like that show a quality built rifle with quite a bit of thought process worked into the design. I am a hunter and that is my priority hunting all over North America every year. I have done this for many years and as the years go by my priorities get more refined. Bottom line though is a rifle capable of extreme long range accuracy that is light enough for me to backpack and carry all day with very light recoil allowing me to shoot comfortabley in any position. The Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman rifle provides all those critical elements for succesful hunting.

The NP3 coating on the action provides easy functioning in any extreme climate or hunting conditions and I can field strip the bolt easily while out hunting if needed to clean debri or change a firing pin. They thought of about everything with this hunting rifle and it has been a pleasure to shoot it and hunt with it.

I will post more targets as soon as the wind settles.