Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Range finders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Range finders?

Let's hear everyones opinion on rangefinders. Im looking to buy one for 1000+ yards and cannot make up my mind. I was looking at the G7 but is it really worth the price? What about the swaro. Rangefinder? Im just looking for the best rangefinder for the best price that will work past 1000yrds. Thanks for your input!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Range finders?

I have used a small handful of rangefinders, and only two of those had realistic ranges of over 1K yards. I once read somewhere that most rangefinders will work to about 65% or so of their rating in unfavorable light conditions. I have found that to be pretty accurate.
I used a Leica LRF 1200 for several years. It was a really good unit, but light had to be decent ranging against a good target for a reading. I could count on it for around 800 yards most of the time.
I have been using the G7 for the better part of the year now, and am very happy with it. To me it is well worth the money. I was out ranging cattle looking directly into a bright morning sun on several occasions, and it almost always got me out to 11 or 1200 yards under those conditions. In good light I have got out to 2000.
The really great part is the ballistic solutions. They are fast and accurate. I set my unit to give solutions in MOA. I shoot a Schmidt Bender and Nightforce with MOA reticles and 1/4 MOA turrets.
The system is very fast.
From my limited experience I give my G7 two thumbs up.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

CObrad, can you explain all the features of the g7 please?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

The G7 is a great rangefinder if you do not already have a handheld device with a ballistic program on it. It will store your info and give you a comeup out to 1400 yards. Than includes angle, elevation (barometric pressure)and temp. If you already have the device with the program and a weather station then the G7 is a spendy rangefinder at 1600 dollars and I would go with the leica or swarovski for under a grand. I played with one at Shawn Carlocks shooting class last month. I liked my leica better. my .02
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

I believe you can find the manual on their site. The unit uses the G7 ballistic software, the same as can be found here on LRH. Input your data and when you range a target it measures air density, elevation, and angle and gives you a solution based your data along with the atmospheric conditions. There are a few modes available to express the range. You can get a line of sight range, corrected range, and a MOA correction. My preferences give me LOS followed in just a couple seconds by MOA.
It also has 4 different brightness settings, a quick adjust diopter, and a focus ring. I think I get better clarity and resolution of distant targets than I did with my Leica.
You can also input 5 different sets of data for different rifles or loads.
I was looking at a Vectronix unit along with an electronic weather station and a PDA with ballistic software. More expense and a lot more time and messing around getting corrections. The G7 is rated to give corrections out to 1400 yds, and from there out to 2K it gives LOS.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Vectronics TERRIPIN, those mentioned in the above posts are not in the same class. At 1995.00 the TERRIPIN is not cheap but if you are serious about ranging deer, coyotes, Elk etc at 1000 plus this is the way to go.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

No doubt the Terrapin is in another class, but also necessitated the other instruments and a lot more time arriving at corrections. For my intended use, out to 1200 yards, I feel the G7 is superior in it's speedy calculations and lower overall cost involved.