Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

range finders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: range finders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
How are they in rain, bright sun light, low light, etc?

What is their readout like?

Thanks,

Mark

Those are my thoughts as well. I have never heard of them until now.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Silver Member

They have a black read out like I said before I havent put them up besides a swaro or leica but I do own 2 other bushnells, the bushnells are the ones I loan out to other people, nobody gets my newcon they seem to work good in snow, I would like to use them besides a swaro in the field just to see how they rate, I know swaro's are about the top of the line
Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Bronze Member

Just ordered the newcon 2000 pro, should get here next week. I'll have to bring it out to the woods a give it a good testing. Got a pair of leupold tactical binoculars will do a side by side on the glass quality.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

let us know how it does!

I'm liking what I hear. I would like to get a range finder that would range a deer or a elk at 1000 + yards. I have a bushnell pro now.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:53 AM
SPONSOR

I have heard that the NEWCON's work well, although I have never owned one. On the other hand, I have had my own experiences with LRF's which has led me to make the following statement; unless you go with the Swarovsky, the Leica Geovid's or Leica Military PLF ($7,000.00+) or perhaps the new Zeiss, keep the unit warm in the cold.

Most of the lower priced LRF's have the laser diode sitting on an adjustable plastic bridge located behind the lens. Once the unit has been utilized in cold weather, (approximately 12 degrees f) and has been allowed to get cold, that plastic bridging will react to the cold and become tweaked to the point that the unit will not perform afterwards.

A solution is to keep the unit warm during cold weather conditions by placing a hand or toe warmer on the unit. This not only keeps the units circuitry from failing, or the bridging from tweaking, it also lengthens the life of the battery.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Bronze Member

I just got back from trying out my newcon 2000 pro. This unit is well constructed and light weight. The controls are place on the unit so you don't have to look for them they fall right under your fingers when you hold the unit. Setting up the range finder and cycling through all the options is simple and once you get it set up to measure what you want you are off and running.

When looking through the glass everything was very clear and crisp, look through my leupold tactiacl binoculars and glass quality and picture was identical. I ranged out to 800 yards next time I want to try farther. I ranged things like cars, signs, trees, and buildings. The 800 reading was off a building at the end of the street I live on ranged trees at 525, 604, and 750. I even ranged a dog at 780.

It will even show a azmith of what direction you are facing when you range a target this will be helpfull when walking to the spot you shoot the animal you are hunting to pick up a blood trail.

The display is only black, would have been nice if it was a shade of red. The black can get hard to see depending on the target that you are aiming at.

All-in-all this is a well made range finder even though I didn't get to range it at the longer distances I feel that it will range a deer at 1500 no problem. I would recommed this range finder to any one. It is easy to use good glass and well made.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

In the past I have used bushnell, leica and swarovski.

1: The bushnell. Forget it. It is a waste of $$. A 1000 yard range finder will do good to range 600 yards on a good day.

2: The Leica. Awesome. It would read out to just over 1200 yards in nearly any conditions so long as the path wasnt blocked by fog, rain or snow.

3: The Swarovski. Astounding. It is a "1500" yard rangefinder. I get readings out to 1999 yards in good or not so good light so long as there sint any rain, fog or snow. This is the one I continue to use.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.