Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

range finder and spot scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: range finder and spot scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
It's a simple attempt to be funny.

The lower cost scopes will be fine for 1200 yard spotting on animals etc in decent light. I would look at the 300-700 dollar range. I have looked through Vortex and they seem fine. I still lean toward the Bushnell HD glass tho. For the money they are pretty good. The ones I have cost $1500 MSRP. but I bought some HD binoculars for my kid not long ago and I really like them for them money. He leaves my Swarovski EL's alone now.
That makes more sense stupid me.

Thanks once again for all the information it has really helped.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

does anyone have any experience with Burris spotting scopes or Burris optics period as in quality durability etc... any info would be helpful thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

I have a burris landmark 20-60x80 its a good spotting scope. I can see 30 cal bullet holes in white paper out to just under 500yds with good light. As far as spotting splash its very doable. My only complaint is the eye relief. On full zoom you gotta be right on it, but its seems a lot of your lower end spotting scopes have that problem. I personally invested well in my rifle scope and do 95% of my spotting with that.

As far as range finders, i think your skill will progress rather quickly and you will soon be out shooting a cheap one. Coming from someone who has had a few, its much cheaper to buy a really nice one from the start.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

save your money for a g7 rangefinder, they are amazing. I went from bushnell to nikon to swaro, to g7. I've used the new Lieca a friend has. The G7 is worth the wait. Put your spotting scope money toward it, use decent bino's and your riflescope if it's up to par. The one piece of glass I find I always leave home is my spotting scope. I understand a tight budget I"m on one but with cheap rangefinders you'll find unreliable performance and when hunting with a rangefinder you can't trust with sub par performace the results will not be pleasant. I wasted alot of money jumping threw rangefinders, save yourself the pain, wasted time and expense. The minimum I would use hunting at 800 yards and under would be the new lieca 1600 or swaro. over 800, g7 or vectronix. exact range is extremely important. Lieca and swaro will both range much farther and work fine for some peolpe at longer ranges, my experiance with both in the conditions and terrain I hunt were in-consistant beyond 800, shooting targets wouldn't matter near as much as game.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
save your money for a g7 rangefinder, they are amazing. I went from bushnell to nikon to swaro, to g7. I've used the new Lieca a friend has. The G7 is worth the wait. Put your spotting scope money toward it, use decent bino's and your riflescope if it's up to par. The one piece of glass I find I always leave home is my spotting scope. I understand a tight budget I"m on one but with cheap rangefinders you'll find unreliable performance and when hunting with a rangefinder you can't trust with sub par performace the results will not be pleasant. I wasted alot of money jumping threw rangefinders, save yourself the pain, wasted time and expense. The minimum I would use hunting at 800 yards and under would be the new lieca 1600 or swaro. over 800, g7 or vectronix. exact range is extremely important. Lieca and swaro will both range much farther and work fine for some peolpe at longer ranges, my experiance with both in the conditions and terrain I hunt were in-consistant beyond 800, shooting targets wouldn't matter near as much as game.
I agree.
Good advice on the LRFs.

Perhaps the best value in spotting scopes is the 80mm Pentax.
You wont find better optics at any price.
This is a great place to save a little money.

The 80mm Swarovski is about as good optically (not better), but the build is no doubt of higher quality. For triple the price it had better be well built!