Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Re: Rail

Ken Farrell makes some of the strongest and straightest rails out there. Check this one out > FARRELL BASE REM 700 LA STEEL 1-PC 20-MOA MATTE, tactical scope base

Shooting and Reloading Accessories
Custom Long Cases too.

Shoot-Long.com

" Life would be quite dull if we limited ourselves only to the practical."
Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Check out TPS for rings too if you get a chance, great rings at a great price, I used to run Leupold Mk4 rings but have given over to TPS in favor of saving money!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Jeff -

What is it that you like about the Nightforce vs EGW?

I have both and can't see paying the extra for just the name.
thanks
Richard
Hi Richard. I guess in short the answer is , fit and strength. I don't wish to offend the EGW guy that are happy. But I have had 2 bad ones of my own. terrible fit and soft. The last one that was brought to me to install was bent right out of the package. I put a straight edge on top and it was about .025" out. As I tightened it down it got worse. So, I was able to bend it with my hands over the bench and then bed it in to a straight top, well kinda. But I just as well have built a rail out of bedding epoxy.

Every NF or Near Base I have ever installed, (and this is many) have went right on with a thin skim coat of bedding and were true as could be on top. I shoot alot and at extended distances. I want a true rail that is strong and will not transfer flex under recoil into my scope tube. I am very happy to spend $100 to $150 to get this. Especially when I consider the price of the rifle and scope this base is marrying together.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Hi Richard. I guess in short the answer is , fit and strength. I don't wish to offend the EGW guy that are happy. But I have had 2 bad ones of my own. terrible fit and soft. The last one that was brought to me to install was bent right out of the package. I put a straight edge on top and it was about .025" out. As I tightened it down it got worse. So, I was able to bend it with my hands over the bench and then bed it in to a straight top, well kinda. But I just as well have built a rail out of bedding epoxy.

Every NF or Near Base I have ever installed, (and this is many) have went right on with a thin skim coat of bedding and were true as could be on top. I shoot alot and at extended distances. I want a true rail that is strong and will not transfer flex under recoil into my scope tube. I am very happy to spend $100 to $150 to get this. Especially when I consider the price of the rifle and scope this base is marrying together.

Jeff
I only have 4 EGW's and 1 NF. I haven't had any issues like that. But, you've obviously seen a lot more of them.

I usually install the rear 2x screws and check for any clearance in front. Then, remove the rear screws and install the front ones and check for clearance in the rear. Then, I skim bed them as you described.

If any arrive bent. I'll be sure to send them straight back.

I haven't had any issues yet. But, I'll have to stay on the lookout because I don't mind paying extra if it makes a difference.

thanks!
Richard