Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rabbit Hunting in Utah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Rabbit Hunting in Utah

We are hunting JACK rabbits, considered vermint in most of the western states. The west desert is prime real estate for jacks. I normally go between Delta and out west further, not too populated. 22-250 is outstanding bunny medicine, 55gr NBT atop 38.0grs of H-380 is my "pet" load. I guess if you were going to "eat" 'em, then 22-250 would be considered over gunned!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]

A 22-250 sure would waste a lot meat. I hate to think that you are shooting a game animal that is great eating and not harvesting the meat.

Dr B

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. B
Like exhaust said...These are not game animals. You don't have to have a license to hunt them. There numbers can get so big so fast that they can eat themselves out of house and home. Thats why you cant hunt them year round here. You could try and eat one but they don't taste good and what very little meat they do have is very stringy.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

LRGunner - I'm sure that 17hmr is a good gun for them. I've used everything from my bow (which is really frustrating) to my 6mm. There are alot of rabbits out west. I would like to try going out towards Wendover but haven't had the chance to try somewhere completely new. Ive even had some good luck up north by promontory point though. We have also had alot of luck down by Nephi and Ephraim. And like exhaust mentioned there are alot down towards Delta and Scipio. We were out hunting the book cliffs not too long ago and there are a ton out there. I think there are just as many coyotes out there as rabbits. We saw 3 a day and we were scouting for deer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you are headed towards this neck of the woods shoot me a pm and I can give you more info on places to try.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

We shot rabbits in West Texas we called it "Show Me The Bunny".
Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every shot was at one running full speed. I killed several over 150+ yards, which is a long ways for a rabbit running full speed. My 22-250 makes it seem easy though. hunting rabbits can be a blast.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 22-250 sure would waste a lot meat. I hate to think that you are shooting a game animal that is great eating and not harvesting the meat.

Dr B

[/ QUOTE ]
bjlooper,
In Utah the black tailed jack rabbit that they are talking about are vermin and they are truely not fit to eat. We also have cotton tail rabbit's that are game animals that you need to buy a license to hunt that have a hunt season in the fall, very tasty.
UB
Old 01-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

Mortage man i tried pm but something was up and it wouldn't go through but i would like to find some places in utah i am new to the area and a friend showed me where to go in wyoming but didn't know where to go in utah, if you could send me some lines that would be great but right know i am back in alabama after some whitetals but will be back in utah in 2 weeks.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Bronze Member

Longrangegunner the pm's aren't setup on this site. Shoot me an e-mail and I will be glad to point you in the right direction. My e-mail is bruening56@hotmail.com