Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Quick Long Range Shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Quick Long Range Shots

You are on the right track with the flags. I use orange surveyors tape on tree limbs around bean and corn fields and laser the distances and draw a chart. As for the roads, just get some old plastic 35mm film canisters and put some kind of scent on some cotton balls. Even if it's not the rut, a buck will stop just the figure out the scent which will give you the time it take to make a precision shot. Works for me!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthntn247 View Post
Been doing some thinking and playing around with jbm ballistic calculator. If I zero at 300, and keep my scope on 12 power, how will this effect holdover since my sub tensions are set at15x? Will 1 mil dot (mil) really be 1.25? If so, I can put one flag at 360, which still puts me in vitals, and anything over that use the first dot out to 450.
If you know the distance just work with known measurements.

From the whithers to the bottom of the chest the deer is about 18-20 inches. Half of that is 10 inches, twice that is 38" (again going with close approximations).

If you are zeroed for 350 and it is a 450yds shot, look at your drop chart and see how many inches it is from 350-450.

Say it's 9". Well look in your scope put the cross hairs dead center between the top of the whithers and bottom of chest. Raise then your crosshairs to the top of the whithers and pull the trigger and the bullet should strike at that same midpoint. A little high and you have lungs and spine to slice through. A little low and you punch a golfball sized hole right through his heart.

The results are the same either way DRT.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Been doing some thinking and playing around with jbm ballistic calculator. If I zero at 300, and keep my scope on 12 power, how will this effect holdover since my sub tensions are set at15x? Will 1 mil dot (mil) really be 1.25? If so, I can put one flag at 360, which still puts me in vitals, and anything over that use the first dot out to 450.
No, the 1.25 in JBM is the factor that is used to calculate the subtension at a lower power. Subtension is ~inversely proportional to magnification, so as magnification decreases reticle subtension increases, so the following holds true--

15/12=1.25
1.25 x 3.6=4.5 inch per hundred yds.

This means that the subtension between dot centers at 12x will be 4.5 IPHY.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

IMO, high magnification is for distance only!

If a deer comes out at 100 yards you will never find it at 15x
If there is a chance for a deer at under 200 yards keep the mag at a low range.

I use two magnifications on my rifle, MIN and MAX.
Learn what they mean at distance so if you have no time to turn to max you can still shoot to a reasonable distance. Then, if a bunch of deer start filtering out at 300+ move to max and get ready.

Magnification is similar to bullets, close range and long range may require different impact points to ensure a clean kill, you need to adjust on the fly...IMO.

edge.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm going to put stakes and flags up in the road at known distances.
This is your best bet. Then download a ballistics app and punch your scope and your load data into it. Then it will print you out a reticle reference that tells you what each mil is for hold over. Remember with MOST reticle scopes the dots will change on different scope power so if your scopes mil is set up to be used on 10x then stay on 10x or you will miss
Old 12-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

If your working with known distances why not take a day at the range and by adjusting your reticle up or down try to find a setting that closely matches those distances.

I have done this with ballistic reticles in order to fine tune them to a handload just remember the substensions between th lines get smaller as the power is decreased.

I would think you could pick up a 3-9 nikon with theyre balistic reticle and be pretty close with a little range work .

I messed with mildots for a few years ended up going with an moa substension scope instead and have never looked back alot easier to find hold points in a quick fasion and with a little time it is pretty easy to memorize your hold ups out to 500 or as someone said put a small chart in your rear butler creek cap for reference

Last edited by albertakid; 12-08-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Being primarily a whitetail hunter, over half my hunting involves set-ups similiar to what you describe. If there are a few major trails along the cut, I'll make a mental note of features that will indicate the range. If there are numerous trials, and this is not feasible, I use a calibrated reticule against the chest to determine the range. For several years I used a standard Mil-Dot to do this. I also used the Mildot to establish hold. With a flat shooting rifle and practice, out to 400-500 yards this csn be very fast and effective. In recent years I have used the same approach with the more precise Reticle systems like the Boone and Crockett Leupold, and currently a Nightforce G7. Using these reticles, it's pretty easy to use the same ranging scale for yardage to determine the range to the deer. It just takes some calculations, and practice committing the scale to memory. I can range accurately enough out to 500 yards to be within a 6-8" kill zone. The whole process takes a few seconds if the deer cooperates. An example of how I range with the G7 set at 10x, the following is the range bar distance using the chest of the deer. I find this faster than using a standard Mildot.

350 yard hashmark-500 yards
375 ". ". -425 yards
400. ". ". -350 yards
450. ". ". -300 yards
500. ". ". -250 yards

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt