Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

quick advice berger hunting vs target?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

quick advice berger hunting vs target?

Fall is getting closer and I only have 37 hunting bergers left. I've been looking everywhere and cannot find my bullets for the life of me.... I shoot the .308 210gr hunting vld.
I just found a few boxes of the 210gr match target vld.
Would it be worth my while to grab them for planking and shooting the scope in? Then save my hunting bullets for hunting?
I guess the main concern would be whats the odds of being able to shoot the same load and have accuracy be silimar between the hunting and target?
Any quick advice before the bullets are gone would help alot!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Re: quick advice berger hunting vs target?

I have both in my bullet cabinet. My experience is they will both shoot alike with the same load. If you mix them up I doubt you will know the difference.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Jeff. I was wondering if they would be very similar seeing as the BC weight and overall body shape is the same.
The only difference is the material or thickness in the jacket correct?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatgerm View Post
Thanks Jeff. I was wondering if they would be very similar seeing as the BC weight and overall body shape is the same.
The only difference is the material or thickness in the jacket correct?
Jacket thickness is the only difference. The Target models are thicker, so I don't know what to tell you about using them for hunting...

I haven't been able to get anymore 210 VLD Hunting bullets either, so I bought a couple boxes of the Target models my local store got in. They shoot the same for me. And I say go ahead ahead and get them for range practice, if you can find them...

I Also can't find any 7mm 180 VLD hunting bullets either...Have a bunch of the target models, just no hunting versions.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Jacket thickness is the only difference. The Target models are thicker, so I don't know what to tell you about using them for hunting...

I haven't been able to get anymore 210 VLD Hunting bullets either, so I bought a couple boxes of the Target models my local store got in. They shoot the same for me. And I say go ahead ahead and get them for range practice, if you can find them...

I Also can't find any 7mm 180 VLD hunting bullets either...Have a bunch of the target models, just no hunting versions.
My plan (if they fly the same) was to use the target bullets for zeroing the scope and checking my turrets match up with my ballistic calculator down range, then keep my 37 hunting bullets for this fall.. If it comes down to it I supposed I could use the target loads for hunting and just hold on the spine. But this is not the plan and I highly doubt I'll go threw all 37 ofmy hunting loads if i can use the target vld's to get the scope dialed in lol
Last week my local gun store had 2 boxes of the 7mm 180's in hunting loads >.< I have no use for them so I didn't buy them

But its good to hear the target vld's are flying the same for you and jeff thar makes me feel confident in my "plan" hah
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Does your local store ship? If so, shoot me a PM with their info so I can get those 2 boxes of 7mm 180 VLD hunting bullets headed my way....If you don't mind? It would be greatly appreciated.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Does your local store ship? If so, shoot me a PM with their info so I can get those 2 boxes of 7mm 180 VLD hunting bullets headed my way....If you don't mind? It would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry man. It was last week they are long gone >.<