Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Questions on a 7mm RM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 PM

Questions on a 7mm RM

A friend of mine wants to buy a Remington 700 in the 7mm RM. We hunt in very open country and and typically take game out to 600 but the opportunity to get to 1000 + is always there so he wants to start with something that is very accurate and that can be built on as money and skill allow. The questions we would like some advise on are these. What out of the box Remington should he start with? The Sendero is $1450, the XCR II is $1005, and the SPS is $700. All are about the same weight, the twist rates are the same and the SPS has a 2 longer barrel. If he goes for the SPS he could put a select grade Shilen on it and be right at the Sendero price. If he is to go with the XCR II or the SPS and put on a Shilen barrel what contour should he use without having to do any work to the stock?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 AM

Re: Questions on a 7mm RM

The sendero will shoot great! I would never reccomend factory ammo!!!!!!! It will still most likely shoot any factoy ammo 1 moa if its the right weight bullet for the twist in the barrel,. If you reload for it it will shoot as good as any you can buy. No need to buy after market barrels/when reloading you can make most factory guns shoot great with a little work on stocks and triggers. Also you cant beat the new model Savages!!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Questions on a 7mm RM

Sendero gets my vote, too. They're tack-drivers from the factory.

Also, he should look into having that chamber bored to a 7mmSTW if he wants 600+ yard hunting to be more fun. But only if you reload, b/c STW ammo is fairly expensive these days.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.