Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question for the Super Long Range Gurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Bronze Member

Question for the Super Long Range Gurus

I'm just a little curious about what the maximum accurate range for my rifle/cartridge will be once I get it back. The rifle is... should say was a remington sendero. It is currently undergoing a substantial accurizing process including new match barrel, bolt sleeving, glass bedding, full action blueprint, and firing pin bushing/trueing. Should be one hell of a tack driver when I get it back. Its going to sport a Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50 Mildot, 20 MOA base and TPS tactical rings. Will be chambered for .300 win mag. My handloading is pretty good, I know a should get a few extra things after reading some posts on this board. I can do my part from the shooting end of things. My question is with this setup shooting 200 grain sierra matchkings at probably 2800-2900 fps what kind of maximum range should I be looking at driving out to before the accuracy falls apart? How much difference will neck turning the cartridges make?

P.S. For gun techies does anyone have any experience with bolt sleeving and the firing pin work I described, my gunsmiths say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Any comments?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question for the Super Long Range Gurus

Johnny

It has been awhile since i have had a 300 win mag but the 220gr match king was the ticket for mine. Do a forum search for Ric Horst. He just got one and is getting great results.

As for the maximum range, it all depends on you and the loads. You want to keep the bullet super sonic which should for the 300 mag should be 1200 -1500 yards.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

The barrel is going to have a 1-10" twist, isn't the 220 pushing it a bit with that or will it be ok? Also the 200 grainers load just great throught the magazine while sitting right up to the lands if I want. Any longer bullet probably wont go through the mag.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Johnny

I had a Sendero with a 1/10 twist and didn't see any ill effects. I loaded them to fit the mag. I used RL-22.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

You need to get together with goodgrouper cause he should be able to help you with most if not all of your questions on that round.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Bronze Member

There is quite a few guys on here that have supernatural techno shooting knowledge. I wouldn't mind info from all of them. I'm really looking forward to getting behind a rifle that has been specifically designed for long range work. just trying to get all the info I can before it arrives.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

Your right there difinitly is and abundance of long range knowledge here for sure!