Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question: Shooting into the wind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question: Shooting into the wind

Okay. .1MOA at 1000 yards is a lot different from what I had at 700 yards. My MV may have been off from my drop sheet, I get that, but wouldn't it have been off of the mark at 500 yards as well? Or, is the difference there small enough that it wouldn't matter much?

This was the first time that I shot the gun at 700 yards at home. I shot it in Wyoming last weekend at 950 yards, but I was gathering the information for my turrets and didn't rely on a drop chart, I just adjusted from what my spotters were telling me.

I'm planning to go shoot again this next weekend from the same place and see if the results are the same. I should have my BDC turrets in by next weekend to, and I can confirm that they are on.

I'm was shooting 168 gr. VLD's, so the BC is rather high, .617.

I think this is just going to take a lot of experimentation....which is fun!

Thank you all for the replies!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Okay, today I went out and shot again just to confirm what happened yesterday. The temperature was identical to yesterday but the wind was a little different. It was angling across my line of fire, and it was blowing between 8 and 15 mph with gusts up to 20. I got set up to start, from the same place and the same target location I had yesterday. I shot twice just to confirm what happened yesterday, and guess what, both shots were about two inches low. I dialed 1 more MOA into the Huskemaw and let three more shot go down range. You can see the results. Here is my setup first.
And then a picture looking down range.
Finally a picture of my group, which is about 11 inches wide. A gust came up on my second shot. I've got to work on my windage, but the group is only about 1 1/2 inches from top to bottom which makes me happy, happy, happy!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Question:  Shooting into the wind-setup.jpg   Question:  Shooting into the wind-range.jpg  

Question:  Shooting into the wind-700-yard-target.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 04:39 AM
Bronze Member

Now, if you happen to have been shooting over hills and valleys in that headwind you could have very well been effected by down drafts, which have a MAJOR effect on bullet trajectory.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Now, if you happen to have been shooting over hills and valleys in that headwind you could have very well been effected by down drafts, which have a MAJOR effect on bullet trajectory.
Then I may need to go back over there when the wind is out of the north sometime and see if that changes my point of impact. I suppose there could have been a pretty good draft coming down my target hill and/or a decent updraft on the hill I was shooting from. Real world practice though right.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Gold Member

If you had been shooting 500-700 gr. all-lead cast slugs for 20 years at 1000 yards.....you'd know all about this!