Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question: Shooting into the wind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Question: Shooting into the wind

I just got home from a little practice trip. I am waiting for the turrets for my Huskemaw scope, but While I'm waiting I decided to print out a drop sheet from the data that I collected previously and go shoot using my "clicks" turret. 3 clicks per minute of angle is an easy enough adjustment.

I check my 200 yard zero, and it is spot on. I decide to start easy and check my clicks at 300. Again, dead on, with the proper wind hold.

I back up to 500 yards and start to see why doping the wind is so challenging. My drop was dead on, but I had 1 shot 2 inches left of center, 1 shot 1 inch right of center, and one shot 3 inches right of center. Good enough to kill a deer, but I need to practice more.

Finally, I back up to 700 yards, which was as far away as I could get where I was shooting this evening. To get to 700 yards I had to go way north and shoot back into the wind. I had previously been shooting across the wind. The wind was blowing between 7-13mph from the south. I put in the appropriate clicks and let my first round go. It hit 1 inch low of the target. I thought I may have pulled it, so I let two more go. They all landed in the same place, 1-3 inches below my target. This would have been 1 1/4-1 1/2 MOA low of center.

My question is this. Will a head wind slow a bullet down enough to cause this? If so, how much effect will a tail wind have?

Any help would be appreciated, especially since I am just getting started in this game. Thanks,

Joe
Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: Question: Shooting into the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post
My question is this. Will a head wind slow a bullet down enough to cause this?
Yes, easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post
If so, how much effect will a tail wind have?
Equal, but opposite. A tail wind will push a bullet up.

Both these answers are generalisations, but are accurate in most cases. A sideways wind can also give you vertical, so don't think this only comes from head or tail winds.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 AM
Bronze Member

I disagree. Adding 10mph resistance to something going over 1,000mph produces a negligible effect during its 1 second flight time. Need proof? Plug it into a ballistics calculator. Between my 338 lapua and my 260 a 10mph headwind induces less than a half inch of drop on both at 700 yards.
My guess is your observed/recorded MV is off a tad. It won't show at shorter distances because the trajectory tends to be pretty flat at shorter ranges.
That or your BC is slightly off but I'd lean toward velocity.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
I disagree. Adding 10mph resistance to something going over 1,000mph produces a negligible effect during its 1 second flight time. Need proof? Plug it into a ballistics calculator. Between my 338 lapua and my 260 a 10mph headwind induces less than a half inch of drop on both at 700 yards.
My guess is your observed/recorded MV is off a tad. It won't show at shorter distances because the trajectory tends to be pretty flat at shorter ranges.
No, you are dreaming if you think head or tail winds have no effect on the bullets impact.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

From everything I have seen, I have to agree with Body, the wind is negligible both from behind and into the wind. As he said, throw it in to a ballistics chart and you will see for sure. However, you can get wind drifts that blow up or down off of hillsides, etc depending on where you are shooting. Have you shot at 700 yards before and, if so, were your results different? I also agree that your calculated MV might be off...
Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

If you were to make your intended smaller and try and be very precise you will notice the headwind tailwind effect. I have shot numerous times at 1000 yard f class matches. The f class target has roughly a 1/2 MOA bullseye (x ring). Trying to keep 20 shots in the 1/2 MOA center is very challenging with pick up and let offs from head or tail winds. The winds will move point of impact several inches at that distance. I am using Berger 105 hybrid bullets. These bullets have very good BC. I would have to think a larger heavier bullet may not move quite as much but will still move.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
From everything I have seen, I have to agree with Body, the wind is negligible both from behind and into the wind. As he said, throw it in to a ballistics chart and you will see for sure. However, you can get wind drifts that blow up or down off of hillsides, etc depending on where you are shooting. Have you shot at 700 yards before and, if so, were your results different? I also agree that your calculated MV might be off...
I agree with these two posts and will share this info from my 300 win with a 215 Berger @3035 fps. These calculations are from Bryan Litz Applied Ballistics program.

1000 yard shot and no wind has a dial up of 20.5 MOA
1000 yard shot with a 10 mph head on 12 o:clock wind needs 20.5 MOA
1000 yards shot 10 mph tail from 6:00 needs 20.4 MOA

Increasing to a 20 mph wind @ 1000
12:00 head wind 20.6 MOA
6:00 tail wind 20.4 MOA

So as you can see the difference is around .1 moa for a good bullet at 1000 yards and up to a 20 mph wind. I doubt even the best shooters could define a .1 moa (about an inch) at 1000 yards.

Now with smaller calibers and less effective bullets I would expect these differences to magnify and I would also expect the same as distance is increased as bullets slow.

Jeff