Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question for John Burns????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 09:36 AM
SPONSOR

Question for John Burns????

Hi, my name is Steve from Oklahoma and I just wanted to say me and several other hunters around here love your show and I think you are doing a lot of good for this sport. My question is about the video equipment you use. I have noticed on several shots on your video and show that you can see the "bullet trace" or whatever you call it. I have noticed this myself several times target shooting or thumping long range prairie dogs. I am wondering how I could capture this on film. I am planning on using a 40 or 60 power spotting scope with a attachment to connect my sony mini-dv camcorder to it. I am wondering if this combo would be enough to capture this unique effect when shooting. I have video us shooting before and I have notice that when shooting a 300 rum with a 125 ballistic tip at 3450 fps I can film 2 or 3 frames of video between the muzzle blast and the bullet impact a 100yds. I don't know if this camera would be high speed enough to do some real good long range videoing. I am just wondering what ideas you or anyone else might have. THanks again and I can't wait to see next weeks show. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question for John Burns????

Lou Boyd is a EE who builds astronomical telescopes for a university in Ar is an expert on this topic. I would post the question at Xtreme Accuracy with at subject <font color="purple"> How do I video "bullet trace"? Lou? </font>
Old 05-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

I have recorded "trace" using both of my standard video cameras. One's an old Sony and the other a newer model digital Sony. I don't think there's any magic to capture trace.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I have recorded "trace" using both of my standard video cameras. One's an old Sony and the other a newer model digital Sony. I don't think there's any magic to capture trace.

[/ QUOTE ]
Magic - No - science and Engineering, unquestionably. If your only goal is to get an identifiable trace, not that difficult.
]
If you want to capture a bullet cutting the deck as in the image above, it takes a bit more.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

I too have recorded many vapor trails in hours and hours of chuck hunt video over the years. I have just been using a standard 8mm Samsung with no special gadgetry. I have footage of vapor trails of everything from 17 hmr's to .338's and even a fifty! The vapor trails vary from condition to condition, but the 300 grain MK still produces the biggest trail as it "shovels" air out of the way en route to the target!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

BB

I believe the original quest was about capturing trace on video as viewed from behind, the projectile along the line of flight. I don't think we're after a picture of a bullet in flight as viewed from the side in your strobe photo example.

I believe even if we were to try to capture "trace" from a 90 degrees to line of flight position we'd need a shadowgraph type photo and it'd represent little other than a neat looking photo. The 'trace' is of little value if it can't be used to observe the majority of the flight path and call impact.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Agreed, but my point was the quality of the trace. Also you can take nice traces from 90 degree view with very high end equipment.
Lou can advise on how to capture video in a range of prices. He advised me on how to connect video to a microscope so I could video a frozen spider come back to life. Far more horrifying than any horror movie I've seen.