Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question for the experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question for the experts

There is nothing wrong with a 308. Use a good bullet and practice shooting in the field and the range. An old timer I have hunted elk with for 15 years kills his every year with a Savage 99 300savage. He shoots them near and far with no problems. If you are comfortable and accurate with your gun, use it. I will be hunting with my 308 this year since my 300rum is in the shop. I will be in the timber and also in open meadows. If you are confident with your rifle and yourself, you will do fine. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

First I'll say that I hunt elk with a .340Wby [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Now I will tell you. If the .308 is what you hunt with now and you are accurate and confident with it. Then load some good bullets and practice practice practice. Then go get your elk and deer and don't look back. For bullets at those ranges. I'd go for a 165 gr Barnes Trip shock. Or an Accubond. Good luck and have a blast!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

I've personally taken a Tule Elk from Grizzly Island in California with a .308 150grain Nosler Partition about 7 years ago. Shot was right around 100 yards in ~30mph wind and I nailed him right in the shoulder bone and stopped him dead in his tracks, didn't kill him but he was froze solid not sure what had just happened (to find out later I had blown through the bone), took a 2nd shot missed, 3rd shot hit his lungs and blew them up and he dropped instantly. It wasn't the best feeling in my life, and since then I've kept buying bigger guns to drop the things easier or at least have some peace in my mind about the situation. Wounding an animal isn't a good feeling at all especially if it gets away, luckily mine went no where. Could you do it? Maybe up to 200 yards... I wouldn't push it much past that. If it's a hunt of a lifetime invest in a .300 or larger and don't look back [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The elk was a 600 lbs hanging Spike by the way. Fish and game measured it after I dressed it. There was a good bull pushing 900-1k lbs I think sitting around him and he looked to be almost 2x the size as the other elk... I would have never taken a shot on that guy with my .308 unless it was a well placed lung shot.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Use the TSX or 180 Accubond and your 308 will kill your Elk just as dead as anyother caliber........... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Will the 308 do it , hell yes probably out past 500yds if the shot is placed correctly but rarely do you get perfect broadside shots a still game from a dead solid rest.
SO , if your willing to pass on marginal shots and take the chance that ol big boy may step out and you have to shoot through the ass end then I would advise against it , their are better calibers for this.

Here is a cheap option that would solve alot of problems.
Pic one of your 308's that your comfortable with and have it rechambered to 300WSM and have a good brake put on it you think the recoiul is gonna bother you.
I have good friend that is on fixed income and was in the same spot your in , loved his 308 but diden't want to risk missing a shot due to lack of power , so I rechambered it for him to 300WSM , was very cost effective and actualy shot alot better due to having a better chamber cut in it.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:31 AM
Silver Member

Slipshot
I'm from the deep south also, the Bayous of Louisiana. I have been killing whitetail for almost 40 years with 270 win and 308 win. Now I'm also going to hunt elk for the first time this year.
I think I'm going to bring one of the new Rem 700 XCR in either 300 RUM or 338 RUM. The reason I'm going with the larger rounds is if I see the bull of my dreams at 400 yd walking away. I would not take that shot with my 270 win, but with a 338 RUM and a 250gr TSX I wouldn't think twice, just put one at the base of the tail.
The reason I would choose a XCR is that it comes with a Houge stock thatyou can send to Knoxx Industries and have them put one of their reoil systems in. It will reduce recoil over 50%. I have one on m 416 rem and it kicks like my 270. They charge $129.95 plus shiping.
Also it's much quiter than a break.

Check out their web site they have a video demostration on thir sit that is verey impressive.

Knoxx Industries

DR B

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

BJlooper,
It looks like a good product but the price is a little higher. For $119 you can get a shotgun stock but a rifle stock is $229. But I do like the option of recoil reduction without the increased muzzle blast from a break. And if you ever get a carry rifle in 510AM you can do the muzzle break and the comp stock ... and a couple asprin. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]