Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question for the experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

Question for the experts

First off I want to say HI!!! Its been awhile since I was around here but this is the first place I thought to come for the answers.
I am looking at a Colorodo elk/mulie hunt and need some advice. The outfitter says the long end on shots for the area is about 400 yrds so I know this isn't long range for you guys but hell you guys shoot them close also dont you? My question is in gun selection. My current "big" bore is several 308's. I know you guys love your shoulder mounted howitzers but I really hate guns that get meat at both ends. Is a 308 enough gun to take a elk without making a perfect shot out to 400 yrds? Reason I say less then perfect shot is because I know I will be huffing and puffing at altitude comming from below sea level LOL. I don't mind springing for a new rig as long as I can enjoy shooting the damn thing and not get the flinches which a previous 300 win did for me. Also I know my 308's inside and out but by no means would I consider myself a expert shot either.
The hunt isnt cheap and I dont want to come home empty wishing I would have had a different gun. This could be the "hunt of a life time" for a Texas boy!!!!
Please help since I have no experiance with elk size critters.
Thanks guys
Old 07-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question for the experts

Slipshot,

I have been hunting Elk in Idaho for almost twenty years now and have witnessed mutiple elk fall in their tracks with a well placed shot from a .270 (close range). On the other side though I have tracked wounded Elk over a quarter of a mile with good shot placement from a .300 Weatherby before they expired. Elk are very majestic and powerful animals and many factors associated with their adrenaline, hunting pressure, and time of year (breeding season)will effect how easy it is to bring them down. IMHO I would error on the side of caution and go with a 7mm or .300 Ultra magnum these calibers are fairly flat shooting, easy recoil, and offer excellent knockdown power for Elk.

Hope this helps,
lv2hunt
Old 07-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Silver Member

if u reload and practice at those ranges, the 308 is enuf gun for any critter in the country. theres no need for a rum, especially when u cant deal with the recoil (dont feel bad neither can I).

if u take ur 308, u will be comfortable in ur shot, and able to make a clean one.... if u buy a 1500 dollar 300rum, and it gives u the flinches, and u take it on ur 7000 dollar hunt of a lifetime, and u muck the shot, then how is the 300rum any better than taking a 218 bee with iron sights?

elk arent really as hard to kill as their size would make it seem.and that 308 is a whole lot deadlier than any magnum that makes u flinch. ur not hunting buffalo or elephants..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Gold Member

First things first I am not an expert!Now that is out of the way I would suggest a Savage weather warrior mod 116 SAK in the 300RUM chambering I actually have one of these it has a muzzle brake from the factory and doesn't kick any more that the .308win. and is capable of extreme accuracy I know of others that are very accurate as well so it isn't a fluke.I also own a .308 but don't bother to take it Elk hunting not to say it will not kill an Elk it's not my preference for animals over 250 lbs.Bullet placement is crucial with any rifle but there is no replacement for flat shooting powerful rounds which give great energy at longer ranges.Main thing is shooting something you can manage and the 300 RUM with a brake is very manageable period.You may now redicule my post and make fun of my suggestion but remember you asked!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
You may now redicule my post and make fun of my suggestion but remember you asked!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
You have me confused with someone else. I want/need the advice or I wouldnt have asked. Thanks for your input and it will be takin into consideration. Living here in the far south a real big bore gun isnt real practical since the white tails we hunt can be a bit on the small side. I Guess I need to put some thought and research into this subject.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Not to consider myself an expert by any means... I would sugest a braked 300rum. I love mine. I have friends that love theirs also. One friend had to give up his 300rum in the old sendero to his wife because he said she fell in love with it after taking an elk at over 500 yrds with it. She weighs 130 max and can shoot it all day off an bench.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM

I hunt elk and moose all the time, and at longer ranges than you are talking about. I shoot a 300 win mag, but my sister and brother in law who hunt with me both use 308 win, and with my hand built bullets they have no problems out to 500 yards. Have you ever heard of Jack Connor Mr. 270, he imortalized the 270 with a 130 grain bullet on elk. check him out the man was famous. If you can hit an elk at 400 yards with a 308, you can kill him. My first elk was collected at 400 plus yards with a 284 winchester, I only had my deer rifle along and did not expect to find any elk.