Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question For The Collective???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Question For The Collective???

Am going to hunt ELK on the Mescalero Reservation early next month in New Mexico. The question is this---as I have always been hunting on our land or public land what is the appropriate amount to tip the guide?

Going out to fire form my brass and then do some load development this weekend and this is a question that I have been pondering.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Question For The Collective???

I use a baseline of $100 for the guide to start. Depending on the hunt/animal harvested/general overall mood I might get as high as $300. For an all time "Book" head say one that might go top 100 I'd throw him as much as I had in my wallet and would have to wire him a good chunk when I got home.

Cooks always get $100.

I'm sure you'll get many opinions these are generally what I use when figuring out how much cash to take.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

Boss Hoss , in 2006 I caribou hunted with www.arcticadventures.ca . they still have my pic. on their latest news brochure . the information packet they sent to me had a few F.A.Q. 's . here is what they said about tipping .
" each year guests inquire as to what amount they should tip their guide and cook . tipping is at each guests entire discretion and tips should be given for a job well done ! the following amounts are considered as fair tips to thank your guide and cook at the end of your hunt .

guides $ 150.00 ; cook $75.00 "

have fun . Jim

Last edited by jimbires; 08-22-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Bronze Member

I have guided deer elk and bear hunters in Colorado for 3 years? I think a far tip is at LEAST $100 for a 5 day hunt? That is only $20 a day? I think 10% of the hunt is a good rulte for the tip. Rember the guide is glued to your side for 5 days plus a half day on either side. Rember that guides don't control what you see, and if the hunt is not stellar the guide worked as hard or even harder.

Good luck and kill a big one,

Gabe
Old 08-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

I´d say 100 is ok as a base tip.- Gabe my opinion is that the tip is due if the guide works hard or at leastr puts interest in the hunt.,. if he just strides along with you niotip is "earned".-
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys!!! Have a pretty good idea how to proceed now..
Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

I believe in being far, courteous, and thankful for a job well done but my question is who gets the $4000+ that you pay before you go hunting?

David