Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A question on barrel life effect

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 04:44 PM

A question on barrel life effect

I have a question about the approximate effect of a particular ammo on one of my rifles. I have a Savage 110flp that shoots very well and is quite nice for hunting. It really likes the Federal High Energy Cartridge loaded with partitions at 2740 fps. At least in my rifle, that factory round is amazingly accurate and has just the right velocity to knock down damn near anything out to 600 yards or so......and the bullet stays together.

While I could save some money hand-loading something else......I sure can't imagine gaining much else. My question is this: What negative effect, if any, in terms of barrel life etc can I expect from this load? Thanks!!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: A question on barrel life effect

WIth a good cleaning and maintenance regime on the rifle, it should last for many years to come. That isn't too harsh of a load.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"