Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question about wimd meters....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Question about wimd meters....

[ QUOTE ]
SNIP

Try to remember that "Edge" is asking a question and plans on using the answer. A bad answer causes a bad bullet placement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks buffalobob, I just want to know if I take a wind reading @ 45 degrees to the wind will it read .707 of the full wind.

I always know EXACTLY the direction that I am pointing the muzzle, but I don't always know the exact angle to the wind!

Those attachments for "track& field" seem to indicate that that is exactly what they do.

If they work, then no more take a reading, guess the angle, calculate percentage of full wind, adjust for partial wind. Instead take partial reading directly and adjust...bang [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edge.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I noticed that, but getting the right answer for the wrong reason doesn't hold up well.

[/ QUOTE ]
It either measures the cosine component when used this way with reasonable accuracy or it doesn't. If it does, there's nothing wrong about it. It would be precisely the right way to do it.

I haven't conducted scientific enough experiments to determine its accuracy when used in such a way, but trying it both ways it has seemed to do very well until the wind gets to a really steep angle (head/tail wind).

Yes, I use mine this way quite a bit. I never excpected it to be 100% perfectly precise (I think adding the tunnels probably will help quite a bit)...but what is when you're dealing with wind? What's the point of being able to measure the speed down to the last .001 MPH when it changes by a couple MPH every second or so anyway? Same with direction. And of course the wind where you're standing is only a small part of the big picture anyway.

Those are just my feelings and what I do. Then again, I suck in the wind anyway so follow my advice on this subject at your own peril. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The only advice I know to be 100% good is use a high BC bullet! Cheat as much as possible! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Jon

I Set up the big fan and ran the meter in about 5-10 mph wind. Your feelings are what I found. Once the angle of incidence gets past about 60 degrees the readings stay way high and at exactly perpindicular it is goofy because even a small angle creates flow.

One of the problems with the set up is that even indoors the fan creates turbulent flow with velocities varying about 20%.

I don't have the tunnel but I would expect the tunnel to do the same or even worse.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't conducted scientific enough experiments to determine its accuracy when used in such a way, but trying it both ways it has seemed to do very well until the wind gets to a really steep angle (head/tail wind).

[/ QUOTE ]
That is what I came up with is that the most inaccurate reading will be in a near headwind or tailwind.

[ QUOTE ]
Those are just my feelings and what I do. Then again, I suck in the wind anyway so follow my advice on this subject at your own peril. The only advice I know to be 100% good is use a high BC bullet! Cheat as much as possible!

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty well sums up shooting in the wind for most of us.