Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question about a Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Question about a Gun

I had a 257stw built for me recently and have a couple questions
I am buying 7mmstw brass and have a rcbs FL die set
The gun is chambering shells very smooth and shooting great
But when i am going to eject shell it is not wanting to come out
A few of my buddys have had these built and are shooting 77gr of rl22 with a 100gr nosbt First thought was that load was just going to be hot thru my rifle
but after loading down to 65gr of powder I am beginning to think something is wrong with my gun I have used a caliper on the brass before shot and after shot and am not finding the culprit I don't know if it would have anything to do with the seating of the bullet or not but I am seating the bullet right to wear the bolt closes smoothly

Thanks for any help in advance
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Question about a Gun

Ferrell,

Once you get the spent case out of the rifle are there any scuffs or scratches on the case that might be getting transfered from the chamber to the brass. If so your chamber needs some polishing. I am making the assumption that since you have came down so for from 77 grains that it is not a pressure problem. It is hard to say without having it in my hands. If it was me I would grab your smith and have him shoot it with you so he can see first hand what is going. kind of like a mechanic test driving a car.

Good Luck, JRW
Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

I agree.

Also, how does it perform with factory ammo?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a chamber issue that needed polishing and the headspace backed off a few thousandths.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM

I don't think there is factory ammo out there for this cartridge "I could be wrong" I am sending my gun to the gunsmith this weekend if I don't get it figured out Thanks for all the feedback