Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Question about Bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Question about Bases

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterrootBob View Post
Thanks for the information! I don't plan on skimping on the base or rings. I was thinking of getting the base from Murphy Precision. I have a stainless action and want a stainless (silver colored) base. Silver colored bases are hard to find. I suppose I could bead blast most any base, though. I am open to suggestions for bases and rings. The Near bases seem to have a good reputation but, WOW, the cost is up there. Like I said, I have not made any decision on a base or rings and will listen to suggestions.
My 300 win does wear a Near ultra lite base. It is indeed silver. I feel the extra $ was spent in a good place.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Ken Farrell inc. Look it up and give them a call to get exactly what you need for your set-up.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

Are those Near rings as well?

Any thoughts on the Near one piece AlphaHunter?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are those Near rings as well?
No Sir, they are Nightforce Ultra Lites.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am working on a .260 Remington. The ballistics table says I need 25.5 MOA for 1000 yards. I am adding a Vortex Viper that says it has 75 MOA of elevation adjustment. The longest range close by my home is 1200 yards. Using 1200 yards as a max range and using a 100 yard zero, what if any slope would you order on a base?

I would think if I get too much slope, I wouldn't be able to zero at 100. Maybe I am wrong in that thinking. This is my first long range rifle, so I'm not sure.
A 0-10Moa base is all you need to 1,000 and the 10 will get you to 1200. You also have 5 mils additional with your MRAD reticle or 20 MOA with the MOA reticle I believe.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
A 0-10Moa base is all you need to 1,000 and the 10 will get you to 1200. You also have 5 mils additional with your MRAD reticle or 20 MOA with the MOA reticle I believe.
WildRose to the rescue again, LOL. Seriously, thanks. I have the rifle (You know the one) in getting a trigger and pillar bedded now. So, I'm getting close to taking it out for the first time.

I bought one of the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X50 AO MO with target turrets from Camera Land when they had them on sale for $600 shipped. I couldn't resist selling it, though, to make some money. By the time I sold it, the sale at Camera Land was over. Made a quick $150 profit selling it, though.

I got an equally smoking deal on the Vortex scope, though. I hope I like it as well as the Zeiss. I see some real advantages to the Vortex as long as the glass is anywhere close to the quality/clarity of the Zeiss.

This gun stuff it going nuts. Check this out: LINK...and one sold last week for $500+ with shipping. I've seen several used Co-Ax presses go for $300-$450. Freaking crazy. I've been trying to purchase a Forster Co-Ax press but I'm not insane or that desperate.

I started adding a Starrett Micrometer head to the Wilson Case Trimmer and have been selling them on eBay. I think I've sold a half dozen, or so, in the last week. Now, I find out LE Wilson discontinued their carbon steel model and are only making the stainless model. I wish I would have known, I would have bought everyone of the old style I could find.

I'll send you some photos once the 260 Remington is complete. Thanks for all your help WildRose!!! It has been appreciated.