Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Quality level at reasonable price?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: Quality level at reasonable price?

I don't know how far is far enough to matter however, so far I've been shooting up to 730yds and only stopped there because I ran out of area to shoot. My scope was canted in the mounts and it made for far right impacts. I corrected this and suddenly all my shots are center target because I stand my target with a plumb bob and center cross hairs with those on target. Tobad varmints don't come with target verticle and horizontal on them HAHA. Brad
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

You are certainly shooting far enough out that small things like cant and angle will result in shots missed by inches if these factors are not accounted for. I was shooting to the same ranges you are and became perplexed and frustrated enough by too many near misses on 'chucks to go ahead and install these devices on my rifle. It makes a difference... and good shooting there friend.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

When. I first mounted a level I was amazed by the number of times that I would have sworn my rifle was level and in fact wasn't. No big deal at the midranges but once you get out past 500 yards and you are in hunting positions, it an absolute necessity for accurate hits. I'm sure a lot of shooters that don't use them blame their long range misses on wind or some other factor. I like to mount mine on the forward section of the scope tube just in front of the parallax knob.(in response to a previous question)

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

This answer may make you have to do a little research. I was struggling with the same thing...my problem was that I could get the scope level, or I could get the rifle level, but I couldn't get them level with each other. I found a complete lit that mounts to the rifle and the scope and makes the whole process simple and foolproof. The problem is that I order so much stuff that I can't remember where I got it. It was either at Midway, Cabelas, or Cheaper than Dirt. Good luck with that!