Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Put the wolves in your sites montanans!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Put the wolves in your sites montanans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el si View Post
Is a non-resident license needed or is this action only for MT residents?
Seriously, because I'm only a days drive from Montana.
lol, it's not legal to shoot them still, the state just may or may not look the other way. just go there on a big coyote hunt.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Put the wolves in your sites montanans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang58 View Post
Couple books that may interest those wanting to learn about wolves. Both by Jim Rearden. One is Alaska's Wolf Man and the other The Wolves of Alaska. These both give you insights into behavior. I think after reading you will realize what a formidible task it will be to keep them under control. Aerial gunning is the only way Alaska has been able to keep them under control as well as Russia. The Wolves of Russia is also worth reading but more statistics than an enjoyable read. My personal observation is that a couple guys can have some success in a small area with a pack or two but it will take several people working at it to make much difference in a large area. The prey base was large to begin with and the pack areas were smaller. They will get larger as the prey base dwindles. This will make it harder to find them. A good rifle with 700-1000 yds capability is a must. Just my observation.
I would second reading 'Alaska's Wolf Man'. Besides just being a good read that most any hunter and outdoorsman should enjoy, it is an education on wolf behavior from someone who got to know them quite well.

Hunter that are on the sidelines on this one need to get off the sideline and get in the game,

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl