Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Put my hands on new 300 Ultra today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Put my hands on new 300 Ultra today!

just an update on my rifle. finally got it all together. loaded SMK's with H1000 (91.4gr). got a 2" group at 400 yards. the rifle has a total weight of 21 lbs, makes it great to shoot off the bench. I am going to northern Maine for 1 month this weekend and will be tring coyote hunting at night. can't wait to try this rig.
I would post pics of the rifle but don't know how to do it.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Dr. Jon,

Please let us know how your hunting goes.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:18 PM

Just registered a few minutes ago.while I am an avid waterfowler,I am absolutely brand new to long range shooting,but I am trying to learn as much as possible quickly by visiting this awesome site and reading.So excuse the dumb questions:
1)what does the abbreviations PSS and swfa stand for.
2)what magazines should I be reading?
Thanks for the help
Old 02-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

AFISHN,

Welcome to LR hunting! PSS is a sub model of a rifle. Remington makes em, I think it stands for Police sniper special, or police super sniper or something. Its basically a 700 Action with a VS contour barrel and a tactical stock. They typically shoot very well for LR work. I think swfa is an optics dealer in texas. Some good magazines are "Varmint Hunter" I like Trophy Hunter. If ya want real info, most magazines arent that helpfull for serious LR shooters. Internet is very good. This site is very usefull.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.