Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Published Muzzle Velocities..accurate or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Published Muzzle Velocities..accurate or not?

I agree that reloading would certainly increase the accuracy potential of the rifle. However, I disagree that factory ammo is not good enough for the ranges I listed.

Premium factory ammo being used, I regularly shoot 4 different rifles at 400 yds and they performed well enough to hunt with.

I reloaded for years for pistol comp (certainly not the same). I am having to sell my stuff before I buy my rifle reloading equipment or my wife will have a fit....paying for college is tough.

www.sevenoakshunting.net

Unread 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Most factory muzzle velocities are hard to match in factory rifles because they are tested in
custom barrels. and are the highest velocity reached not an average of all shots fired.

And most of the barrels are 26", most factory hunting rifles are 24".

The only ammo I have ever seen that reaches or exceeds listed velocity is the factory
Weatherby ammo in Weatherby calibres.

If you have a slick Custom barrel they will make up about 50 ft/sec from the 50 ft/sec lost
in a standard factory barrel, so they will be close to listed velocities.

Always verify velocities with a good chronograph and use the average, if the highest velocity
matches the factory that's fine but use the average for trajectory calculations.

J E CUSTOM
JE, I agree with everything except that most factory test barrels are 26". When talking to guys from Nosler, Barnes and Hodgdon, they told me most of their barrels were 24" and barnes list the barrel length.

As far as the ammo manufacturers, you might be right there, but I have found their (Fed, Rem and Win) velocites to be fairly close in my 7mm RM and 300 WSM. I was getting some velocities 30-40 fps higher than published. Maybe it's my chrony?

-MR

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 06-02-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
JE, I agree with everything except that most factory test barrels are 26". When talking to guys from Nosler, Barnes and Hodgdon, they told me most of their barrels were 24" and barnes list the barrel length.

As far as the ammon manufacturers, you might be right there, but I have found their (Fed, Rem and Win) velocites to be fairly close in my 7mm RM and 300 WS. I was getting some velocities 30-40 fps higher than published. Maybe it's my chronor?

-MR
That's what I was talking about ( Ammo manufacturers ) when I said 26'' barrels.

Fortunately most of the powder and bullet manufacturers list barrel length with
there load data.

Unfortunately speed sells and the ammo guys will use the highest velocity and energy
numbers they can and the test are designed to do just that.

A lot of the pressure guns (Test Guns ) have barrels that are 28 to 30'' long.

It's Kind of like gas mileage the manufacturers of the car will give you the best numbers
possible but you will be hard pressed to match them under normal driving.

J E CUSTOM
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Man... I need to proof read my posts for typos a little better
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Man... I need to proof read my posts for typos a little better
As our buddies say way way way down south "No worries Mate".

I am not the best typist or composer and some times have a hard time expressing my
self.

J E CUSTOM