Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Public Hunting land for Antelope in New Mexico

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Public Hunting land for Antelope in New Mexico

Lerch, if you do not like what New Mexico has to offer look at Wyoming, good draw odds and tons of public land in some areas. I have hunted southern Wyoming and the hunting is good and there are lots of nice antelope. You can even combine a deer and antelope hunt and maybe even get some extra doe tags. Lots of fun for your long range shooting pleasure. You can buy a preferance point until Sept. 30 and this would put you in the top draw pool, since this was the first year WY sold them and they are offering an extension until the end of the month, a good investment. I am heading to SW New Mexico to antelope hunt the first week in October and plan to stop and see you guys on the way out. I can bring some info if you want me too. Hope to have a new 270 AM to show off as well.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 PM
SPONSOR

So you are saying I can still buy preferance points for the 07 season?? I have never tried to draw out or buy points for any state and I am completely new to all of this. ANy more info you have would be great, so far what you are saying would be right up my road. Would the hunting be in a area where I could hike in and camp out for 3-4 days??

thanks again
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Bronze Member

Lerch, I sent you an e-mail covering some of the details as far as location and links to how you can still buy points for the '07 draw. The area we hunted had lots of areas to camp and hunt and plenty of room to wander. We had to bone & pack all of our antelope out because we had gone into areas with no roads to get to some of the better bucks in the area. We camped on a road, but never had one truck come by. I think with the etxra doe tags and the camping this would be exactly what you are looking for.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 AM
SPONSOR

Thanks for the info, i have downloaded the forms and will be sending them off. Do you have any pics of the area you were in??? Just curious as to what the hunting would be like up there.

Thanks again for your help

thanks
steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Bronze Member

I do not have any pictures that are digital, but will throw in some of my film pictures when I come thru in early October. The country is foothills with quite a bit of contour and a few scattered mountains, the only trees where we camped were scattred stands of junipers, but they were enough for firewood. Some of the county gets real steep, but only for short periods. Elevations were from 7000 to 9000 ft. I think you will really enjoy it. I will be in touch so I can get directions to the store where you guys work. Contact me if you have questions before then.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:50 AM
SPONSOR

thanks again

i will be looking forward to seeing the pics when we get to meet up with you

thanks again
steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 09-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

in wyoming its pretty easy and also quite cheap to get pronghorn tags. the hunting is GREAT! but in my experience 'hiking to camp' may not be an option. it's more like drive your truck around and glass for some animals.

two weeks ago i got 3 left-over tags for less than $100. and last year i had no problem finding enough animals to fill all 3 tags i had.