Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Public Hunting land for Antelope in New Mexico

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 11:54 AM
SPONSOR

Public Hunting land for Antelope in New Mexico

Me and BJ are looking for a cheaper style hunt for next year in New Mexico or some other state. We are wanting antelope or maybe even mule deer, buck only. Does anyone have any recommendations for public hunting land. We are wanting to hike in and camp for 4 days. I havent ever done anything like this before so any help would be appreciated. Wanting to go next year.

New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, whereever is good.

thanks
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Public Hunting land for Antelope in New Mexico

The antelope draw system in NM places state drawn hunters on private ranches. Best of both worlds!
Deer on public land is draw only. Unit 2B is a monster hot spot, but guess what, HARD to draw. There are many other areas to hunt deer in NM DIY style that can be productive.
I drew a muley tag this year down in the desert am gonna DIY it.
If you have more questions about NM, I'll try to answer!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:15 PM
SPONSOR

Well I have never done anything like this so I am kinda lost i guess. I am wanting to DIY to save some money for a upcoming caribou hunt in 2008 and I have always wanted to do a spot camp myself hunt trip.

What are good units to try for that I can have a good chance at drawing. I dont have to limit myself to a world record, just wanting a decent goat for the wall.

Any info on how to go about it all would be great

thanks
steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Lerch, Think u are missing the point, there isn't really anywhere here that you are gonna do a pack in antelope hunt. When you draw an antelope tag, they PUT you on a ranch of their choosing. There is no additional cost for hunting the private land. They force the landowners to allow draw hunters in exchange for their landowner tags. It is against the law for the landowner to try and charge you anything to hunt there or treat you unfairly while on his land. The hunts are on private land and you do a lot of driving and glassing. Now the mule deer on the other hand, would afford you lots of opportunity to choose a wilderness area, pack in as far as you choose, and have a fun hunt.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
SPONSOR

Okay then repeat question, mule deer now. This is all new to me. I have always hunted on family or lease land, only been on one guide hunt and some of you may remember me reporting on that disaster this time last year.

Same questions as above, any tips, hints, advice??

thanks
steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 PM
SPONSOR

Give me a call tomorrow at my house 620-662-3669 if you have time. I will be out part of the day shooting the 7mm Dakota XP, hopefully out to just beyond 900 yards, but it is supposed to be quite windy. Good practice opportunity mixed in with good dose of reality [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

Non-residents for deer without guide is a 10% draw of all available draw permits in that particular unit. example: Unit 34 might have 1000 available permits for ALL drawings, non-resident without guide will get 100 of them, so be wise in your choices and do research all available data on the NM Game website before making choices Last year had to be in by April 8, I don't know about this year,,,but I'm still putting in for my choices!!