Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

PST vs. VX-III vs. SIII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

PST vs. VX-III vs. SIII

Three scopes have made the short list.

Vortex PST 6-24 x 50mm EBR-1
Sightron SIII 6-24 x 50mm Mil-Dot
Leupold VX-III 6-20 x 50MM LR Target Duplex

These three scopes seem to be in roughly the same category and price range. I have read a fair amount on the Vortex and the Leupold. However, there is not much that I can find about the Sightron. Which would you choose and Why. I have a budget of $800.00 tops out at $950.00. Is there anything else that I should consider. The rifle is a Sendero SF-II 300 RUM. I have a EBR 20 MOA rail and 30mm Rings. This is a long range rig and and will be used north of 1K target, but up to 1k hunting. I appreciate any advice that you may be willing to give.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: PST vs. VX-III vs. SIII

You cant go wrong with leupold. I have always had good luck with them. All the leupolds that I have track perfectly, return to zero, and are very durrable. The customer service is second to none also.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

Leupold is like the 30-06 in competition. It had it's glory days, and there's nothing wrong with em, but there are much better scopes to be had in the price range! I have two Sightron SIIIs, a 6-24 and a 8-32. Both are awesome, track perfectly, lots of internal elevation, good glass, very good value. I have also shot plenty of leupy's, and a buddy of mine is. Big fan, the mk4 is better competition for the sightron's, but they are significantly more expensive.

I have also read, but have not tried, a new PST, supposedly the glass is superb, cannot speak for reliability however, not saying they aren't reliable, just I don't know of/how reliable they are.

You will definitely not be disappointed with a sightron. However PSTs
may be worth looking into.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

I have all three and just received my PST. The Vortex seems to be the best of the bunch. The Sightron has really good glass but the PST has a better reticle and a lighted reticle. The PST has the zero stop feature that is also really nice, main problem is availability.
I would rate the Vortex first, Sightron second and Leupold third.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for your input fellas. I appreciate the feedback. I like both the Vortex and Leupold glass. I have not been able to look through a SIII yet. I wish that we had a decent place close to compare them all side by side. I keep leaning more and more towards the vortex, but like mentioned above availability is key.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

I have a vx-III in 3.5-10 and I havnt seen a scope yet that I could see the antlers in the morning with as well. I am also looking at those same three scopes for a new purchase.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

338 Bruce, I see that you are in Washington. I am in Cedar City. Fun to see someone local. I know that the VX-III has been a great scope for many years. They have also made some new modifications to it making it even better still. They just recently gave it double erector springs and blackened edged glass. These are two feature that up until this time were only available on the Mark 4 scopes. It is a tough decision to for sure. I know that I could probably be happy with any of these three. Sportsman's in St. George will have the PST's in soon. But they can be really hit and miss. I just see this weather warming up and I am getting the itch to hit the range.