Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Pro's and Con's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Pro's and Con's?

Looking to hear experienced views and ideas about 338 Lapua vs. Edge. Thanks again in advance for your valued insights!!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pro's and Con's?

Very close ballisticly. It comes down to two things. Would you pay a premium to use better brass? If so go with Lapua. Are you building on a 700 action? If so go edge/RUM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
Very close ballisticly. It comes down to two things. Would you pay a premium to use better brass? If so go with Lapua. Are you building on a 700 action? If so go edge/RUM.

Exactly what he said.

Shooting and Reloading Accessories
Custom Long Cases too.

Shoot-Long.com

" Life would be quite dull if we limited ourselves only to the practical."
Old 09-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

Any other opinions? Thanks!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrbuck View Post
Any other opinions? Thanks!
Nope, that is pretty much decision factors involved. If you want to stay with inexpensive brass, than the 338RUM is another that runs right with the two you have chosen. Pick your poison I say. Lapua brass is a definite bonus.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

I like the Lapua for the brass quality like said above. But also you should consider if you even needed to purchase factory ammo. You will have a hard time finding it for an Edge. Like if you flew some where for a hunting trip and ammo was lost. Or, it was lost durring a pack in, heaven forbid.

My experience with the 338 edge and 300 gr bullets was not good with RP brass. About two firings and primer pockets were loose and brass went in the trash. That was with 92.5 gr of H-1000. I have fired the first 100 Lapua cases I started with 13 times now with the same 92.5 gr charge of H-1000. After even 13 firings the Lapua cases check out good and all 100 primer pockets are equally a nice tight fit. Some say Lapua brass is expensive, I say it is a value.

Also, the Lapua brass will need less prep right out of the box and will be more consistant.

Another point of interest is choosing dies. The Lapua dies are shelf stocking dies. Not sure what the best method for the Edge is, but I would check into this.

Performance is a wash between the LM and Edge, look for 2800 to 2850 depending on barrel and length, with 300 gr bullets.

What ever you choose, I recommend H-1000 and some of the new Berger Hybrid OTM's for bullets. Scary accurate!!

Jeff
Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

I have 100 pieces of Rem brass for my edge and have put 5 reloads though each. My rifle shows pressure signs at 92gr H1000 so I load 91 for 2840 fps for the 300SMK. If you are ruining brass after two firings you are (in my opinion) way over pressure. I don't care what make the brass is, you run it too hard and it goes fast. I live fairly close to a Rem ammo plant and can sometimes can get their once fired brass for $.50 a piece. I use .338 RUM dies and they aren't special order.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.