Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Proper way to clean bore on a PUMP action rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

Proper way to clean bore on a PUMP action rifle?

Hi guys,

I have a quick question about a Remington 7600 pump rifle one of my buddies has that he wants me to clean for him. What is the proper way to clean a pump action rifle (bore in particular)? I have never cleaned a pump action rifle before so want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I tackle it.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Proper way to clean bore on a PUMP action rifle?

I'd blow it out good with Berryman's Carburetor cleaner to get the carbon and petroleum distillates out and then use the Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner on it.

Repeat until you see no color coming out.

I set them barrel end down resting on a folded up paper towel. Then squirt it in from the chamber end.

I blow it out with the carburetor cleaner between GFBC treatments. I takes about an hour or to for the GFBC to do it's thing so you can get quite a few treatments done in a couple of days.

You'll be amazed at what comes out.

When it runs clear it's clean.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95huskers View Post
Hi guys,

I have a quick question about a Remington 7600 pump rifle one of my buddies has that he wants me to clean for him. What is the proper way to clean a pump action rifle (bore in particular)? I have never cleaned a pump action rifle before so want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I tackle it.
I used to have a 760...many moons ago of course. Just have to be careful and go at it from the muzzle...use a rod that wont scratch and when you run the patch all the way thru have some rags in the action ( opened) and catch the patch and any "fluids" you are using.

I picked u some cleaner the other week I saw advertised...and Im a loving it. You soak a patch and I mean dripping wet....run it slowly thru the bore and remove.
Wait 5 minutes to all night...then start running dry patches thru it. You can also but DONT HAVE TO ...use a brush in the bore in the meantime...

when patches come out clean you are done...give it a light coat of oil
Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I'd blow it out good with Berryman's Carburetor cleaner to get the carbon and petroleum distillates out and then use the Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner on it.

Repeat until you see no color coming out.

I set them barrel end down resting on a folded up paper towel. Then squirt it in from the chamber end.

I blow it out with the carburetor cleaner between GFBC treatments. I takes about an hour or to for the GFBC to do it's thing so you can get quite a few treatments done in a couple of days.

You'll be amazed at what comes out.

When it runs clear it's clean.
Patch out is what Ive been using ...

Boy! That got a little big???
Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Is that the same thing as the wipe out foaming cleaner? same maker?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Yepper...I believe it is