Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Proper accuracy bedding of your Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

Proper accuracy bedding of your Stock

So just how important is your stock bedding to your rifles accuracy? And how do you know if your rifle stock was bedded in such a way so that your rifle will shoot with the utmost accurate loads

For all your know you might just be assuming that your Smith did a good job and spend time and effort trying to get you handloads and your rifle to shoot the groups you had hoped when in reality you poor bedding job wont let you.......................for me Im just relying on someones elses work ethic I would not know if it was done right or not. I would hate to find out years later that, sorry, your rifle was not bedded right and ..................So how do you know.

Greg
Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Proper accuracy bedding of your Stock

Who has a rifle built, and never takes it apart? A nasty bedding job should be easy to spot.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Gold Member

What about a nasty Pillar bedding job?........................In your opinion............

I shot five five shot groups that averaged .664 at 100yards....................19 badger Good or Bad?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Mabey check to see that the action screws do not contact the insides of the pillars when tight. I do this by drilling out my pillars after the beddeding job is complete. Nothing huge, just a couple sizes over.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

Greg first of all I don't put my faith in 100 yards. 200 or further shows true variences. Instead of me typing it all out. Darrel explains it pretty good.

Pillar Bedding by Darrel Holland (courtesy of Michael Donaldson)
Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
So just how important is your stock bedding to your rifles accuracy? And how do you know if your rifle stock was bedded in such a way so that your rifle will shoot with the utmost accurate loads

For all your know you might just be assuming that your Smith did a good job and spend time and effort trying to get you handloads and your rifle to shoot the groups you had hoped when in reality you poor bedding job wont let you.......................for me Im just relying on someones elses work ethic I would not know if it was done right or not. I would hate to find out years later that, sorry, your rifle was not bedded right and ..................So how do you know.

Greg
How do you know your brain surgeon really got the tumor and not your left testicle?

Sometimes you actually have to take it on faith that when you pay a professional to do a job and do it well, they are going to do so.

You can also see telltale signs of movement if the bedding is not done well.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post

Greg

Why in the world would you pick a smith to work on or build a rifle that was not competent?

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein