Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Prone shooting technique question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Prone shooting technique question

Update- I think problem solved... increased height of cheek piece with foam under stock pack. Now a comfortable and repeatable cheek weld can be obtained without straining neck. Apparently, I've gone all my life and never had it right :-)

A month ago was my first long range match/shoot. Course of fire was about 50 rounds total at 200/400/600 yards, broken up over a few hours and working the target pit. It was my first time ever shooting prone and the following day my neck was awfully sore from craning my neck up.

Several questions... Is this normal? Expected? Or is it a symptom of poor technique?

I've read multiple articles on prone shooting, but no formal instruction.

Thanks.

Last edited by Big_Red; 09-15-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: Prone shooting technique question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
A month ago was my first long range match/shoot. Course of fire was about 50 rounds total at 200/400/600 yards, broken up over a few hours and working the target pit. It was my first time ever shooting prone and the following day my neck was awfully sore from craning my neck up.

Several questions... Is this normal? Expected? Or is it a symptom of poor technique?

I've read multiple articles on prone shooting, but no formal instruction.

Thanks.
hi,

you have to adjust your headrest<cheek rest> propely.
aim at target. close the eyes, take 3 breath. pause. open eyes. if your head is on scope on the same point <up down> your cheek rest is properly setup.
you have sore back neck pain, because your head is not resting on rifle stock properly.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Gold Member

This subject I could talk on for two days! Your best bet....is to find a good match shooter well versed in instruction and you can be shown more in 10 minutes than talked on over two days!! Many issues need covered; whether you're shooting NRA HP events or F-class using a bi-pod! Sling requirement for NRA HP and it's usage require 'showing' instead of talking about! Scoped rifle position much different from shooting a rear aperture! Both related...but not necessarily the same!

Last edited by RMulhern; 09-15-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added info!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Thanks 300RUM. So, given your explanation, the entire weight of my noggin' should be resting on the stock - with minimal muscular support to hold the head up? Maybe I need to be in a higher position too???
Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks 300RUM. So, given your explanation, the entire weight of my noggin' should be resting on the stock - with minimal muscular support to hold the head up? Maybe I need to be in a higher position too???
Yes,
Your head have to be rested on stock.
2 reasons. you do not have muscle paion, second you have constant eye-scope lens position all the time.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Appreciate the advice... I'll try to adjust my technique with some dry fire practice tonight. I may need to build up a cheek riser under the stock pack.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Appreciate the advice... I'll try to adjust my technique with some dry fire practice tonight. I may need to build up a cheek riser under the stock pack.
You can order one from Shawn Carlok at defensiveedge.net.