close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

Prone shooting technique question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 47
Prone shooting technique question

Update- I think problem solved... increased height of cheek piece with foam under stock pack. Now a comfortable and repeatable cheek weld can be obtained without straining neck. Apparently, I've gone all my life and never had it right :-)

A month ago was my first long range match/shoot. Course of fire was about 50 rounds total at 200/400/600 yards, broken up over a few hours and working the target pit. It was my first time ever shooting prone and the following day my neck was awfully sore from craning my neck up.

Several questions... Is this normal? Expected? Or is it a symptom of poor technique?

I've read multiple articles on prone shooting, but no formal instruction.

Thanks.

Last edited by Big_Red; 09-15-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: AB, Canada
    Posts: 556
    Re: Prone shooting technique question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
    A month ago was my first long range match/shoot. Course of fire was about 50 rounds total at 200/400/600 yards, broken up over a few hours and working the target pit. It was my first time ever shooting prone and the following day my neck was awfully sore from craning my neck up.

    Several questions... Is this normal? Expected? Or is it a symptom of poor technique?

    I've read multiple articles on prone shooting, but no formal instruction.

    Thanks.
    hi,

    you have to adjust your headrest<cheek rest> propely.
    aim at target. close the eyes, take 3 breath. pause. open eyes. if your head is on scope on the same point <up down> your cheek rest is properly setup.
    you have sore back neck pain, because your head is not resting on rifle stock properly.
    __________________
    Thanks
    CJ
    My 338Edge
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Location: North Louisiana
    Posts: 794
    Re: Prone shooting technique question

    This subject I could talk on for two days! Your best bet....is to find a good match shooter well versed in instruction and you can be shown more in 10 minutes than talked on over two days!! Many issues need covered; whether you're shooting NRA HP events or F-class using a bi-pod! Sling requirement for NRA HP and it's usage require 'showing' instead of talking about! Scoped rifle position much different from shooting a rear aperture! Both related...but not necessarily the same!
    __________________
    "You don't have no idea how little I care!"

    Monte Walsh

    Last edited by RMulhern; 09-15-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added info!
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Atlanta, GA
    Posts: 47
    Re: Prone shooting technique question

    Thanks 300RUM. So, given your explanation, the entire weight of my noggin' should be resting on the stock - with minimal muscular support to hold the head up? Maybe I need to be in a higher position too???
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-15-2010, 12:21 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: AB, Canada
    Posts: 556
    Re: Prone shooting technique question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
    Thanks 300RUM. So, given your explanation, the entire weight of my noggin' should be resting on the stock - with minimal muscular support to hold the head up? Maybe I need to be in a higher position too???
    Yes,
    Your head have to be rested on stock.
    2 reasons. you do not have muscle paion, second you have constant eye-scope lens position all the time.
    __________________
    Thanks
    CJ
    My 338Edge
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: Atlanta, GA
    Posts: 47
    Re: Prone shooting technique question

    Appreciate the advice... I'll try to adjust my technique with some dry fire practice tonight. I may need to build up a cheek riser under the stock pack.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: AB, Canada
    Posts: 556
    Re: Prone shooting technique question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
    Appreciate the advice... I'll try to adjust my technique with some dry fire practice tonight. I may need to build up a cheek riser under the stock pack.
    You can order one from Shawn Carlok at defensiveedge.net.
    __________________
    Thanks
    CJ
    My 338Edge
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Prone shooting technique question
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Prone shooting technique rufous Long Range Hunting & Shooting 6 06-14-2012 11:07 PM
    Proper long range shooting technique? ergceo Long Range Hunting & Shooting 10 03-02-2010 03:29 PM
    Shooting Technique -- horizontal stringing zupatun The Basics, Starting Out 14 09-07-2007 01:56 PM
    Prone Shooting Position Question royinidaho General Discussion 7 06-12-2007 06:31 PM
    Proper Shooting Technique Help Frankie_2_Times The Basics, Starting Out 3 08-13-2006 08:43 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC