Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Prone with a Chrony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Prone with a Chrony

Jason, I have never needed multiple BC's until I got past 1200 yards. And not with all rifles or bullets. I have seen some go 1500 plus with one G7 BC. I dont know what was going wrong with your BC from the program but that is huge. I say it is wrong and the factory BC would be closer. I use BC to FINE tune, and velocity to get on path. Most times a velocity adjustment alone will get it done. Also if you had the majority of your hits with in 4" at 800 yards that is probably as good as in obtainable. A rifle, ammo and shooter holding 1/2 moa at 800 yards is a good team. 1/2 moa is 4". My advice for anyone is to use the factory BC or a Litz BC and adjust velocity untill you go past 1000 or 1200.

The more actual dial ups you have from different distances you shot and recorded the better you will be able to fine tune. but always remember the 1/2 moa accuracy of the team (rifle, ammo, shooter skill) 1/2 moa groups are golden, use the center of the group for the reference point to get the needed dial up.

Jef
Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Jeff! I've been told in the past to leave bc alone except for fine tuning and adjust velocity. This Bulletflight program is new to me and this calculate bc from drop feature seems pretty slick but if it is not the better way of doing it then I'll go back to adjusting velocity. I just have a hard time believing my velocity is off that far. The average velocity I chose to run with just so happend to match the advertised velocity as well but I didn't realize that until afterwards. Either way something is way off but what really matters is I can get accurate come-ups.

Thanks again!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Broz - Thanks for the advice. If I understand you, I would run the app, go to callibration, enter yardage and adjustment and then apply to have the app run back at the implied the velocity? Tried and this and it seems to be working.

Shortpants - No problem, defintely a good addition to the discussion.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

Jeff, I went back and played with the velocity and had to drop it 200fps to match up the real world drop. If that's the case then I just don't know if using a chrony helps at all? I mostly use one to track ES/SD but can I even trust that? Keep in mind this is a box of factory ammo. Fusion 300wsm 165gr. which is actually a Speer deep curl bullet I think. Velocity reads 3135 but have to input 2935 to match drops? Any ideas???
Old 05-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Is that a kind way of telling me to not put too much faith in the results?
It all depends on what you are using it for.

I don't care if my chronograph isn't calibrated to the exact velocity, I care about ES.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Jeff, I went back and played with the velocity and had to drop it 200fps to match up the real world drop. If that's the case then I just don't know if using a chrony helps at all? I mostly use one to track ES/SD but can I even trust that? Keep in mind this is a box of factory ammo. Fusion 300wsm 165gr. which is actually a Speer deep curl bullet I think. Velocity reads 3135 but have to input 2935 to match drops? Any ideas???

Well, if you use the factory advertised BC for the bullet, shoot at 300, 500, 750 and 1000 and your drops match up using 2935,,,, then I say your chrony is a lying SOB... Proof is in the pudding!!

Jeff
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

More testing and I'll bring both chrony's next time. I've compared the 2 chrony's in the past and they read within 40fps. I still have a hard time believing I'm only pushing that bullet at 2935.