Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Projecting a waypoint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Silver Member
Re: Projecting a waypoint

For the last five seasons my son has had to get all the deer back to camp, six per year, and skin them all while I watched and drank beer. The price he paid for me paying for the lease, letting him sleep in my camper, filling his truck up with diesel so he could get back home, etc, etc. Now I'm providing him with a job too.
Some people here have issues they should see a shrink about.
Merry Christmas

Unread 12-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

How do I put this without stepping on anybodies toes?

I have been informed that I offended you Gerry. Please put yourself in my shoes for a moment.

If you were to come here and introduce yourself and offer some good ideas that work great I woud gladly accept these ideas. Or at least entertain them. To come here without even saying hello or introducing yourself and just try and plant ideas in my head to get me to buy something doesnt sit well with me or alot of others. You could maybe see why I thought of the thread as spam.

So, in short, if you would like to come and say hello and introduce yourself I think you find more than just a warm reception here.

If you do this I will offer you a sincere personal AND a public appology.

Michael Eichele
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 12-24-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

well kudos to you bob. it has been said we can tie knots with our tounge we cant untie with our teeth. and from time to time were all guilty of that. it shows what your made of to respond as you did. it has also been said a pat on the back goes further than a kick in the ass. good hunting and merry xmas.
Unread 12-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
My Garmin Etrex Vista cx used with a rangefinder allows me to project the exact location of the kill over there on the other ridge, and guides me to it!
Gerry, I knew the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx could do that, but did not know that the Etrex Vista CX could. That's nice to know. Thanks!

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Unread 12-25-2008, 07:52 AM

Eaglet, I had not even held a gps until a month ago, so know little about them, and nothing about types other than this discontinued vista cx I got off e-bay for cheap. I had no idea they were capable of projecting a waypoint, first by determing the direction with an electric compass and then entering the distance to the object. I know some are limited by the distance increment that can be entered; no less than a tenth of a mile. This one will enter distance in yards, and combined with a range finder that measures in yards, results are amazingly accurate; a tool I have needed for a long time.
Unread 12-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

A couple of things to remember.

The Vista has no accurate aiming system such as a regular compass does and so it is hard to get a refined azimuth. Elk that are a mile away are within range of a lot of the rifles on this forum and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to pin down exactly where they were one day from an observation point.

It does not like tree canopy, but not surprisingly, we don't get longrange shots through heavy tree cover.

Mostly, I use mine to keep my truck from getting lost. Oftentimes my truck will wander around and not be where it was a few hours ago, so in new country I always waypoint the truck.

Finally, you will find that the difference between what your GPS says, what a paper map says and Google earth says can be 200- 400 yards different. Just my two cents is that the GPS is at its very best when used with a really good paper map and a really good compass. A poor quality compass will not do you any better than the GPS.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club