Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Problem sighting in scope Help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Problem sighting in scope Help please.

Hey fellas, Got my new Nightforce scope in last week ( very excited) Mounted it myself using EGW picattiny rail and TPS-TSR rings. I locktighted down rail but did not lock tight down rings or lap them. Centered the eye reliefe to my eye and corrected verticle of reticle with level. Took to the range to sight in and that is where my problem started.

This is a very sharp shooting rifle with good hand loads. The problem and what I noticed is that if I make no turret corrections I am getting .2-.6 accuracy Sounds great right?

However when I make a turret change lets say down 1 moa I might get down 2 moa and 1 moa right. Or maybe make a turret cange of left 1/2 moa and get 1 1/2 left and 1 moa up. I can't believe it's the scope. It was just inspected the 18th of October and a change to horizontal should not effect verticle and the oppisite is true. What really throws me is that if no changes are made to the turret it will drive tacks so it don't make since that the mount or rings are loose. Can yal help me? What is up with this? Thank's, Brad
Old 11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Problem sighting in scope Help please.

Oh, and I don't know if it makes a diffrence at all but, I'm doing all my sighting in at 22 power but, am on bags and very steady. The parellaxe is set correctly with no apperant movement and clear. I have shot at 100 and 200 yds with same effects. Brad
Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

I read a post I think here awhile back saying that before using a new scope you should run the elevation and windage adjustments top to bottom side to side a few times to get everything to settle down. All it would take is a little piece of debris to screw things up. I have no idea if it does any good but it sure can't hurt. Give that a try and post back. I'm curious to see if it helped.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
Hey fellas, Got my new Nightforce scope in last week ( very excited) Mounted it myself using EGW picattiny rail and TPS-TSR rings. I locktighted down rail but did not lock tight down rings or lap them. Centered the eye reliefe to my eye and corrected verticle of reticle with level. Took to the range to sight in and that is where my problem started.

This is a very sharp shooting rifle with good hand loads. The problem and what I noticed is that if I make no turret corrections I am getting .2-.6 accuracy Sounds great right?

However when I make a turret change lets say down 1 moa I might get down 2 moa and 1 moa right. Or maybe make a turret cange of left 1/2 moa and get 1 1/2 left and 1 moa up. I can't believe it's the scope. It was just inspected the 18th of October and a change to horizontal should not effect verticle and the oppisite is true. What really throws me is that if no changes are made to the turret it will drive tacks so it don't make since that the mount or rings are loose. Can yal help me? What is up with this? Thank's, Brad
Brad I'd say pull it off and lap the rings.

Also something I've started doing right/wrong or neutral I don't know is when I mount my rings on the rail I leave them almost loose, not quite snug. Set my scope in them and snug down the rings lightly.

I then torque the nuts tightening the rings to the rail, before proceeding to level the scope and torque it down.

Of course if you'd do this with an alignment bar, then lap the rings, and then just drop the scope in you'd probably be money ahead in the long run.

As for the "symptoms" overall it certainly sounds like something is out of kilter pretty bad so I wouldn't do any more shooting till you get it figured out for sure.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

As I don't have the mounting tools ( lapping equipment, rosin, and such) and this was my first time I'm going to take it to the smith on monday and let him do it professionally just so I'll know for sure. Then I'll know that if I still have a problem I really have a problem. Brad
Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
As I don't have the mounting tools ( lapping equipment, rosin, and such) and this was my first time I'm going to take it to the smith on monday and let him do it professionally just so I'll know for sure. Then I'll know that if I still have a problem I really have a problem. Brad
I didn't either till recently but I tire of being dependent upon others. For less than the cost of getting the local smith to mount one scope I picked up a complete Wheeler scope mounting kit for 1" and 30mm scopes on Ebay.

For an alignment bar if you have a local machine shop/welding shop for about five bucks or maybe even less you can get them to cut you a piece of scrap shaft material.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

I hope all this gets figured out quick as this is the end of deer season and though coyote season started a while back I don't get excited about it till after deer season then, I get real excited about it as in every day excited about it. I had to take my old Simmons 2.5x10x50 Pro50 off that has worked well for me for 14 years. That broke my heart but, I did it thinking this would be a quick fix. Mount scope, take to range, sight in and I'm golden however, nothing ever seems to work that easy. Done went through a bunch of shells trying to figure this out now back to square one. This will get fixed this week or I'll simply put my old scope rings and base back on and work with it till the off season (end of March) it just seems wierd. the logic behind these impacts makes no sense to me. Thank's, Brad