Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Primer failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

Primer failure

Had an opportunity to do some shooting today and I had two primers fail to fire in my 338. The primers are CCI 250.

I am hoping for a little help figuring out if it was bad primers or if my firing pin isn't striking the primer hard enough.

I had taken 6 shots and the first failure occurred on the 7th shot. I then fired 4 more shots and had another failure. I fired 6 more shots after the second failure with no issues.

Here is a picture of the primers that didn't ignite. To me, they look like they were struck pretty good. The one on the left I tried to fire twice.

So a few questions.

Is there anything I can look for on the firing pin to see if something may be going on there?

I've never had a round fail with the exception of 22 LR. Has anyone else ever encountered a primer failure on a centerfire rifle? I've fired thousands of rounds and never had a failure until now, and two failures within 5 rounds makes me think something with my equipment may be causing the problem.

Is it safe to pull these? I hate handling these things once the primer has been struck. I just feel like it's going to go boom at any moment and striking it on the ground with my puller seems a little freaky too...

Scott
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Primer failure

SX I had one fail on me today. Same primers mine were in my 300rum.. Mine looked just like yours. First time ive ever had a cci fail to fire. However I have heard that others have had problems with them not firing. I dont think you have anything to worry about. Your primer hits look fine to me.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

I and the same experiance today with cci 250 in a 7 ultra mag. I pulled the one cartidge of twenty that did not go off and the h-1000 inside was yellow down by the bottom of the cartridge? like the last 1/4" or so. anyone heard of this before? I would be interested to see what your powder looks like sxwatson. the inside of the primer was blackened though.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

i went thru that about 6 weeks ago. had a brick of federal 215 m's around the fifth packeti was shooting edge 1 night and out of 26 rounds fired had 2 misfires. came back home pulled bullet and yes there was powder there. sent bolt back to travis redell since this was a new build, every thing checked out on bolt. went back out and happened 1 more time. now i switched to regular federal 215 since i just bought 6 bricks no problem. i gave the other 5 packs away. you tell me.
mike
Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

A question or 2 for each of you. All brand new brass? Any of you check to be sure all primers are firmly seated without being too deep? You need to check with a straight edge across the case or a depth mic if you have one. Sounds like bad batch of primers on the CCI though.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

no, mine was after a few firings but looked and felt seating to be okey, but i didnt use a straight edge. mine was smcked good like the other pic.
mike
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

My primer was also smacked good and was seated properly. the brass was new. as i said it was actually blackened inside the primer when I pressed it out. was wondering maybe I got some oil/ case lube on it or inside the case?