Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Prescription shooting glasses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Prescription shooting glasses

Does anyone make a pair of shooting glasses that have different stregths of glass like they sell in the stores for reading?

Last edited by gonewest; 03-16-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Prescription shooting glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
Does anyone make a pair of shooting glasses that have different stregths of glass like they sell in the stores for reading?
Short of getting a pair of full prescription shooting glasses from your eye doctor the only thing across the counter that I know of are safety glasses.

You can get safety glasses that have no correction with bifocals that come listed with different strength of glass just like reading glasses. They are available in anything from clear lenses up to dark sun glass shades. Trust me they work - use them every day at work - couldn't read squat without them.

Any industrial safety supply store will know what you are asking for. I believe they run about 8-12 bucks per pair depending on what you get.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

There's a guy at my club that I shoot M1Garands with in Camp Perry style open sight competition and he's been to Camp Perry alot and has won some medals. He learned there and has purchased this briefcase he bought somewhere with about 30 lenses in it, and he changes them based on what he needs by popping the lens out and swapping another in. It didn't cost a fortune either. It's a system for adjusting his sight to whatever magnification and light that suits him best on any given day. Open sight shooting...

A real nut according to my optometrist!

You can aslo go to an optometrist if he's knowledgeable about shooting and if he is, what's best for you.

Or you can be like the guy at my club? Want me to ask him where he got the get-up?

Ed
Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
There's a guy at my club that I shoot M1Garands with in Camp Perry style open sight competition and he's been to Camp Perry alot and has won some medals. He learned there and has purchased this briefcase he bought somewhere with about 30 lenses in it, and he changes them based on what he needs by popping the lens out and swapping another in. It didn't cost a fortune either. It's a system for adjusting his sight to whatever magnification and light that suits him best on any given day. Open sight shooting...

A real nut according to my optometrist!

You can aslo go to an optometrist if he's knowledgeable about shooting and if he is, what's best for you.

Or you can be like the guy at my club? Want me to ask him where he got the get-up?

Ed

Then your optometrist never did or needed to use any sort of COLORED lens for any application.

I certainly did ( and they were prescription) when I shot trap for many years. Do a search on the internet for "DECOT" becuas he was the man that made them....long since dead and I dont know who makes them now..but they definately work. Different colors for different applications
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM

i am new here but 20 yrs of sporting clays shooting and did what your asking decot hy-wyd or decot international will make any perscription or color you want i use different strenght glasses mostly on long targets past 50 yds but rembember you will get headaches some unbareable