Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Preping for ELR - What a mess this turned into.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: Preping for ELR - What a mess this turned into.

Roy, and this time put the GONG in the right place.......where the hole is going to be!

New day...hope it's going better.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

Broz, Great idea on the washing machine sides one of those things that make you go hmmm why didd't I think of that Roy hang in there we all have days like that mine seem to come weeks at a time

Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Gold Member

I got faith in ya Roy! You'll get her dialed in. I do like the idea of dropping your BC some to get a little closer on your velocity. I also like Jeff's idea with the side of an old washer. I always set up where I can drive to my targets but conditions can still change on ya either way. Best of luck!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Joei

I can't believe you, and so many others, read the whole thing.

Addy is 42 South 200 East
Blackfoot ID 83221

Broz,

If I weren't so dumb I would have saved tons of steps and barrel time by going top cabin w/rings and mounts.

I already have the front of a dish washer that shows holes pretty good. There's just too many of 'em.

I tore every thing completely apart looking for something out of the ordinary.

Every thing was copasetic But The rear bottom ring turned very easily by hand. I noticed that upon initial installation. I had the thought that this may be a feature instead of a bug. Even though it was easy to turn I figured "how much can that move? plus I figured it would help with self alignment.

I swapped that one with another I had in my stash. This one required the normal wrench effort to install and align. Results of the change a tight fit makes one heck of a difference.

Bore sighted and 1st shot was on the dish washer cover @ 100. Made a gross error in corrections. Twice too much. Too used to shooting 200 yes.

Reversed both turrets 1/2 of the original dial. This shot hit close enough to be on the 8 1/2 x 11 200 yard target. The first shot @ 200 was 1 MOA low and 2 MOA left. Made the correction. This was my last loaded round. It went spot on for windage and 1/4 MOA low.

I'd be finished loading for tomorrow but my shell holder vanished. I was using it earlier this evening. Damn I hate it when that happens.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well Roy, keep at it. That is all I will comment on. And I maybe could save you some steps. Go by the appliance junk yard and get the sides to an old white wash machine for a target. Bullet impacts (nice black holes) should be plenty visible from your shooting point, they are light to carry, and the price is usually right if you offer to bring them back for their scrap pile.

Jeff
You know a white refrigerator or freezer door would fit the bill quite nicely too. Good idea.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Roy, just use your 375 AM and send me the fur, send it "next hour air" if you know what i mean............ Just make sure you shoot exactly east and account for the spin of the earth.... Good luck getting your rifle figgered out, and finding your shellholder (ive lost mine a time or two, i am in for some serious trouble when im in my 60s )

Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

All a guy want's to do is blow a hole through a woof at insane distance and look at all the trouble it causes, something ain't right about that!!!!! Good luck Roy, looks like your going to need it