Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Prefered Bipod height for prone shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Bronze Member

Prefered Bipod height for prone shooting

I have decided to add a Harris swivel bipod with the leg notches to my wish list. Now I cannot decide which height to get, 6-9" or 9-13". I will not use it for bench shooting but for prone hunting shots. Any recommendations?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Prefered Bipod height for prone shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by encoreguy View Post
I have decided to add a Harris swivel bipod with the leg notches to my wish list. Now I cannot decide which height to get, 6-9" or 9-13". I will not use it for bench shooting but for prone hunting shots. Any recommendations?

Something to consider in your quest, is the terrain you will be hunting in.
Where I live on the plains we have a lot of tall grasses where it is necessary to have the height of the taller models ( we use the 9-13"), however if you live in rocky or desert type terrain you might be able to get by with the "6-9"

*Prairie Princess*
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Gold Member

I go with the 9-13. The 6-9 is too low for me on factory sporter stocked rifles. I have yet to try it on a tactical style stock.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

I would go with the 9-13 it has more versitility. Its hard to get under a 6" enless your shooting down hill.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Bronze Member

It is interesting the answers I get here verses on other sites. On the various "sniper" sites they almost unamously vote for the 6-9" saying the 9-13" is too high for a good position unless you are shooting up hill. Now I am really confused. Different perspectives I guess.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

It also might depend on your body build. I spent quite a lot of time on water skiis when I was younger so the upper body is kinda thick. Getting older hasn't helped either!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Ideally, one does want to be as low and solid as possible, but body types vary and cover trumps all. I'd agree that the body build is probably the most important thing if muzzle clearance isn't a problem.

For actually hunting from a wide variety of cover and positions, I'd opt for the taller bipod, knowing it will be most often used to get muzzle clearance. For shooting tactical/precision matches, I carry both.

IMO, the most stable positioning comes with getting the butt properly into the shoulder, which drives consistent cheek weld and recoil recovery. The rear rest should then stabilize the butt at the right spot, then the bipod adjusted to get on target. Fine elevation adjustments can then be made with the rear bag.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.