Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

predator gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Bronze Member

predator gun

Which caliber would you recomend between the .204 or the 220 swift? Would the .204 bett much better on saving the hides?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: predator gun

Casilva43,

Welcome to LRH!!

The 204 would be a bit better on hides, the Swift will offer more range and obviously knockdown power. Yotes can be pretty stout critters and hard to anchor at times.

If you are spot and stalking I would choose the Swift, if your calling, the 204 would be a good choice.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Casilva43,

Welcome to the forum.

I have been following and researching the Ruger 204 since it was introduced, thinking (as you) this might be a good predator rifle, and one of the most intensly debated subjects on hunting forums is the choice of caliber and bullet for predators. You didnít specify what predator, but I will assume you are talking about coyote and fox. As you very likely know, a fox is not as big as it looks, and their hide is not as thick as a coyotes. Either one of your choices can do quite a bit of damage to a fox. If fox is your number one predator, you can slow the bullets down and you wonít have near as many blow-ups.

If coyote is your goal, the Swift can have a range and wind deflection advantage, but with the 204 you will be able to see your hits/misses as there is very little recoil. You will likely have to reload for each. For the Swift I would use the 52 gr. Amax or the 55 gr. Sierra Game King if you are working with a factory rifle. These produce little pelt damage MOST of the time. I would stay away from the 32 and 40 gr. Horn. 204 bullets and opt for the 40 gr. Berger for coyotes. The Berger has a slightly thicker jacket that helps reduce blow-ups.

If you are hunting in the east where most of your hunting will be done in the woods and choosing a shot is not an option, the choice is easy. I like the heavier and well constructed bullets and the Swift to anchor the animal on the spot.

Is the 204 ďmuchĒ better than the Swift for saving pelts? I donít think there IS a predator rifle/caliber that is MUCH better than another. On any given shot, from any given rifle, there are variables at work that can change impact velocity, bullet penetration and performance.

Both are good choices......

Jim
Old 05-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

I used a .270 for years. the 140 gr. sierra hpbt is made out of such hard copper that exit holes are only .277 I shot through 4 inch heavy wall pipe at 200 yards and it made just clean holes. I've also used it for turkey hunting for years. just a clean hole none of that eating bird shot and feathers pressed into the meat and all busted up. Texas turkey hunting they use 22-250 and 6mm with the heaviest bullets. Just sniper the faning Toms from way out. They stand around and wondered what happened to their buddy so you can often get a few before they scatter.

It's only on TV where they wear camo BS and call them in. This is LR hunting at it's best.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Bronze Member

When I lived in Alaska I used the 220 swift with 55 gr. fmj on Fox, Lynx, Wolf, Wolverine, and Martin and I never had a messed up pelt. In 75 I killed 34 lynx without a bad pelt in the bunch.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Texas turkey hunting they use 22-250 and 6mm with the heaviest bullets. Just sniper the faning Toms from way out. They stand around and wondered what happened to their buddy so you can often get a few before they scatter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in Texas. No seriously, only in Texas would that be legal. Sounds like fun though.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Gold Member

They do it in florida as well. Nothing quite like putting the sneak on a oceola and her the thump then crack of a 257 wetherby 60 yrds in front of you.