Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

prairie dog hunting at Buffalo Butte Lodge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

prairie dog hunting at Buffalo Butte Lodge

Just got back from my second prairie dog hunt, in one month, with the Springer family of Buffalo Butte Lodge in Gregory ,South Dakota. If you want the great accommodations, superb food and fine dog shooting; you can't go wrong coming here! It's why I came driving back from Va. for my second shoot within one month! It's a great place. You have wonderful hosts in the Springer family.
I also gotta blow my horn a bit. With an AR15, in 223 A.I. and a 55 grain Blitz King bullet; I whacked one at 862 ranged yards! On the second trip, someone (barely) beat it with a 6x284 and 105s at 865 ranged yards. So, yeah, you can still find the long shots and even lots longer than that. The lodge has an 1100 yard bench range right above the lodge to test you and your equipment. Not to mention the 100, 200 and 300 yards you can also shoot behind the lodge! Or fish, or shoot shotguns! Did I mention the fantastic food? I'm sure I'm leaving out some things, like cold beer, the bar, the shuffle board and the pool table to cover a few more.
I VERY highly recommend Buffalo Butte Lodge not only for prairie dog shooting, but I'm positive the pheasant hunts have gotta be as good! Plan ahead, they stay booked.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: prairie dog hunting at Buffalo Butte Lodge

Tag, looking for a place to take a buddy to shoot some dogs. Thanks for the review.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

I checked out their ad, looks like you'd have work hard not to have fun. Especially liked the "We built it" portion of the ad.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

The post further down on PDog shoot with friends by Joel Russo is the trip he is referring too.

Did you get any pics Charles?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Silver Member

Curtis, I was with Joel on the last trip. No, no picts at the dog towns. Lots around the lodge and the beautiful countryside!