Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Portable Gun Rack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 09:39 AM

Portable Gun Rack

Hello everyone,

I am a marketing student at Winona State University in Minnesota. We are creating a marketing plan for a product and I have some questions I'd like to ask you....

1. What do you do with your gun when you are unpacking your vehicle, sitting by your car waiting for friends to show up, take a break by your car and eating lunch or a snack?

2. Would you find a portable gun rack to be safe and useful? The gun rack would attach to the side door of your vehicle and would be very sturdy. This would allow you to set your gun in a safe, upward position without having to pack up your gun again or take it apart and unload it and whatnot.

Please give any comments or feedback about this product....thank you.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Portable Gun Rack

"The gun rack would attach to the side door of your vehicle and would be very sturdy. This would allow you to set your gun in a safe, upward position without having to pack up your gun again or take it apart and unload it and whatnot."

In most of the places I hunt, having a loaded and/or uncased firearm ON or IN a vehicle is a problem and a game warden will issue a ticket.

Check Minn. Law Statute 97B.045 and I believe you'll see that a hunting firearm must be enclosed within a case or locked in the trunk for transport. (In many places "transport" is ill defined and just just having the firearm leaning against a parked vehicle will get you a ticket as "transported/ing"."

Other than that it sounds like a good idea but the other thing I've learned over the years is that it's hard to fall off the floor. To keep my firearms safe and prevent accidental discharge(s) due to falling over while in the field I place them on the ground pointed in a "safe" direction when not carrying them.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Gold Member

Re: Portable Gun Rack

Most of the time the guys I'm shooting w/ stick the gun back in the case (normally a long padded 'soft' case) w/ an OBI in it and just don't zip it up. Takes seconds, and no worries about the gun getting a) knocked over or b) marred by some clamping or retaining bar.

Monte