Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Popped my Cherry Yesterday!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: Popped my Cherry Yesterday!!!

I enjoy all deer hunting, but nothing beats getting up close and personal with a bow...congrats!

45 yds is a long range shot, especially for a newbie. I shot one at 50 once and thought that was way, way out (though I'd practiced for it of course).
Old 12-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Congratulations

The reason I enjoy bowhunting is there is a lot of hunting and very little gutting, dragging, skinning and butchering. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] More fun less work.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Way to go! You will never forget the details of your first archery deer. Mine was in 1997 and I can still remember what the breeze was like that day and the feel of the deer's warm weight.

45 yds is pretty good distance. What was the BC on your arrows? Were the heads match kings or broadheads? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As far as field dressing one, when I was about 14 and had never killed a deer I asked my youth pastor at church how to gut one out and he said "Just open him up and take everything out." To this day that is the simplest and best way I have ever heard it described.

Congratulations again on your archery kill!
Sam

NRA Life Member
Old 12-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

Congrats! I love archery and 45 yards is a long shot for most any archery hunter. Meat is meat.

I started archery hunting to expand my season and quickly learned that you see a lot more deer and less hunters during archery than during rifle season. They are not pressured and only REAL hunters are afield.

Plus in early season you get first crack at those 16 bucks you mentioned.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

i got two hogs and a bobcat this season with my bow passed on a couple of young bucks i'm haveing the bobcat mounted shot i it at about 10 yrds so far nothing with my 300 ultra i really injoy the getting up close and personable with archey and i second the seeing more game during archey season the hogs and deer around here turn nocturnal soon as rifle season starts great going that first kill with a bow is special and 45 yrds at that great shot
Old 12-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Joe,
Congrats, and thanks for the story. The first year I hunted with a bow I got a doe tag to go with my buck tag. Figured I'd at least get to take something. I did. The doe. There's a lot in common between bowhunting and long range rifle work. I took my furthest bow shot at a deer this year. A perfect quartering away at 75.5 yards. Nailed it! Like countless times at the range! There is always a thrill when you make a good long range shot.
Anyway, welcome to bowhunting. It's an awesome addiction. Enjoy the venison.