Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Popped My Cherry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2002, 11:02 PM
Bronze Member

Popped My Cherry

I can't remember what the exact definition of a long-range hunt is but as far as I am concerned, anything over 500 yards should count.

Today I got my cherry popped with a 575 yd kill on a Mulie doe. The best thing was it was a first round kill in less than perfect weather conditions. It was cold and very windy.

Later in the day I connected a first round kill on another doe at 400 yards. At this point I was having a good time till the S%$#T hit the fan.

My hunting partner wounded a doe and we had to hump 800 yards down a ridge to catch her. This was probably the most diffcult shot I have ever attempted. I was bushed from the long run, I had only a wild ass guess as to the range and I had only 2 rounds left to hit a moving target before it escaped wounded. Talk about added pressure.

The first round was not perfect but it did the job to put her down so I could use my last round to finish her off.

All in all the day went well. I fulfilled my goals and broke through the 500 yard barrier convincingly.

The rifle is a bone stock Winchester Model 70 30-06 in a lightweight fibreglass stock.

Peter Cronhelm

PS I'll see what I can do about posting some pictures.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Popped My Cherry

Good job.Sounded like alot of fun.And just like sex.You will alway's remember the first one.....
Old 01-22-2002, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Peter

Fine job, you're hooked now I'll bet.

What bullet were you shooting and what scope?

How did the deer react to the first round you sent downrrange?
Old 01-22-2002, 01:44 PM
Bronze Member

Hooked? You bet, just stick that needle in my arm and I will be fine.....

I am really glad that the first time went so well. It was a really gratifying experience. It is NOTHING like shooting long distances on a range.

I have been telling people that I am a shooter and NOT a hunter. As a shooter, this is the sort of hunting I could get used to. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The bullet was the .30 cal 168gr Nosler J4 Match.

Scope was a 10x Tasco SS. I used a drop-chart printout generated from the "Thing" which I had found to be very accurate for the load being used.

Peter Cronhelm
Old 01-22-2002, 05:58 PM
Bronze Member

Pictures:

Deer #1: 575 Yards

Deer #2: 400 Yards. The background is typical of the land in this area. Lots of rolling hills and big country.

Another shot showing how big this area is. Virtually unlimited shooting space and there are too many deer.

Peter

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: cronhelm ]
Old 01-22-2002, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

Your scope is mounted very very high, I would get some lower rings. Seems like it would be very difficult to get a good spotweld with a scope that high. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

by the way great shooting!

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]
Old 01-22-2002, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Gentlemen, let's keep in mind please that the BTHP match grade bullets are designed for paper targets. Some mfgs. like Sierra strongly discourage the use of match grade bullets for hunting.

Although I can appreciate your delight in making such a shot, the use of that bullet is not recommended for hunting, for obvious reasons I should think. Please consider using a Nosler Partition instead, or another appropriate hunting bullet. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]