Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Point of impact change from bipod to tipod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Bronze Member

Point of impact change from bipod to tipod?

Just got my tripod back from Outdoorsmans with the rear-support installed.

Outdoorsmans Long range Rear Rifle Support

It seems to be a good option for situations when you can't get prone and I was able to make consistent hits at 300 yards (as far as I can shoot at home). However, my "consistent" hits were about 1-1.5 MOA low at 300 yds. I'm guessing it has to do with the different support. Anyone else ever have this happen and if so, how do you deal with it? I tried different shooting techniques off the tripod, but they all seemed to shoot low compared to a bipod/rear-bag setup. Any advise on this one? Thanks!

Glenn

Last edited by DocGlenn; 10-08-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Point of impact change from bipod to tipod?

biggest thing to remember when you use shooting sticks or a tripod system is to keep them perpendicular to the rifle.

If you have them leaning forward or backward at all, they will rise or fall and make your impact high or low accordingly as you fire your rifle.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

The most likely reason is that it's due to a change in your cheek weld and eye,sight alignment.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The most likely reason is that it's due to a change in your cheek weld and eye,sight alignment.
I think you're dead-on with that. Got to practice more and get the tripod shots to match up to my bipod shots. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I would look at your form before I would look at the gun or the tri-pod.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Official LRH Spponsor

I noticed the same thing shooting of the ground or a bench.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree, changing your cheek weld will cause vertical changes in impact. So will putting the butt plate higher or lower in your shoulder. So does the amount of vertical pressure under the stock's forend on its rest.

But I disagree with a change in eye, sight alignment. With a scope focused at target range, you eye can be anywhere in the exit pupil's cone of vision as long as the reticule's on target. People shooting benchrest rifles in free recoil don't touch the stock at all with their head; their eye moves around a bit relative to the scope's optical axis for each shot.