Originally Posted by scsims
I have this issue with both of my LR rifles that if I set up and don't get every detail right with my hold and trigger pull I group them both to the right about 1 MOA. The groups are still together and stay but to the right. I'm still a novice so I'm not always the best at remembering all the details.
I know when I use the upper end of the middle segment of my index finger to squeeze the trigger I'm going to hit to the right.
I have found that if I make sure the rifle is square in my should and I use the middle of the top segment of my index figer they will group in the center.
Is this crazy or just part of what you all have learned to do for LR shooting.
Are you wrapping your thumb around the stock? If so STOP! Hold you hand up like your waving fingers together. Place your entire hand along side of the palm swell, then grip with your fingers (the thumb is not involved with shooting from the prone) and avoided in most circumstances. Your putting pressure on the stock (your thumb is acting as a leaver).
Here is a check list I'm right handed there for so are you for this list
1. get strait behind the rifle, your shoulder and hip in a strait line, legs bladed.
2. DON'T HOLD THE RIFLE support it, any pressure you impart on the stock is going to be reflected on to your target. I try and get my body set up so that the rifle is pointing at my target with out having to use physical force to hold it there.
3. Make dam sure the forearm is supported the same way every time, this does not always matter but not knowing your rifle its best to try and mitigate it for now.
4. Press the trigger to the rear in a strait uniform fashion, any lateral force is going to pull your shot left or right.
5. Breath in and out at least 3 times before you get ready to pull the trigger, when your lungs are empty you have 7 seconds in which to break the shot if you surpass 7 seconds start over.
6. AIM AT THE SIGHTS, forget about the target all the focus should be on the front sight post (cross hair) then place it on the target.
its a short list but I hope it helps