Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

POF fluted chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

POF fluted chamber

My buddy at work was showing me this fluted chamber neck design that POF is using in their new AR platform. Apparently it was an old idea used by HK and POF is putting a new spin on it and giving it a go.

Maybe im too closed minded, or just plain traditional but i do not like the sound of this idea. What do you guys think?

https://www.pof-usa.com/esquared.html
Old 01-31-2014, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: POF fluted chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
My buddy at work was showing me this fluted chamber neck design that POF is using in their new AR platform. Apparently it was an old idea used by HK and POF is putting a new spin on it and giving it a go.

Maybe im too closed minded, or just plain traditional but i do not like the sound of this idea. What do you guys think?

https://www.pof-usa.com/esquared.html
In an AR platform rifle, especially one you will not reload for I can see it being a great idea.

I cannot see how it would have any positive effect on accuracy and potentially see it could hurt it.

It seems like a really good way to screw up your brass for reloading.

Most of the time if you are having a problem with an AR it's related to extraction, or debris in the chamber preventing proper cycling so for reliability in a fight, it makes sense. I can't see it being a benefit otherwise.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

I think you make a solid point in relation to ar's and extraction problems, and i didnt consider how that would relate to a combat situation. In that scenario it really starts to seem like a good idea.

I was really wondering how you would clean those tiny grooves and what would happen if they were not cleaned properly and carbon was allowed to build up. Could it have the reverse effect and make a shell harder to extract?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

Fluted Chamber is regarded as a plus for a battle rifle.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
I think you make a solid point in relation to ar's and extraction problems, and i didnt consider how that would relate to a combat situation. In that scenario it really starts to seem like a good idea.

I was really wondering how you would clean those tiny grooves and what would happen if they were not cleaned properly and carbon was allowed to build up. Could it have the reverse effect and make a shell harder to extract?
No more of a problem than a dirty chamber. A sharp dental pick would easily remove carbon or debris.

With any military rifle one of the critical elements is how well they can perform when muddy, sandy, wet, dusty etc which is why you find ways to create channels and grooves for crap to move to in order to keep it from gumming up or clogging the operating system.

This is actually where the idea for fluted bolts came from. Of course a fluted bolt is also less likely to freeze and stick to the point you can't operate the action in sub freezing wet weather..
Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

I guess there is no reason to dislike this chamber idea. Except from a reloading standpoint.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

I would be worried about gas cutting. We try hard to get the brass neck to seal the chamber as quick as possible so any gas cutting is minimized. I am sure that everyone has seen gas cutting
on bolt faces from loose primer pockets or hot loads.

There may be some advantages for the military because they don't reload and if a barrel goes bad they simply replace it.

I don't think "I" want to aid this process. So I will just have to pass on this.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM