Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Plz Share Your Hunting Plans/Stories.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 05:35 PM

Re: Plz Share Your Hunting Plans/Stories.....

The first day of my bull elk hunt in Northern Arizona I decided to set up on the edge of a long park (meadow). I have seen a heard of elk using this area just after the sun comes up. At 7 AM, 30 minutes after sunrise I saw the first animals coming into the open. Bringing up the rear of the heard was a nice 5x5 bull. I ranged him at 345 yards and took my shot. Neither my buddy nor I saw the elk move at all. So we ranged him again and I checked the elevation adjustment and shot again. Once agian the bull did not move. As I worked the bolt again the elk began to run straight towards us. Looking through my Leupold 4.5 x 14 scope I could see blood spraying out of the two bullet holes. The bull dropped 30 yards from where I frist hit him. I was shooting a Rem 700 action with a Kreiger Heavy contour barrell and a Mcmillan stock. I was using Remington Factory 168 hpbt ammunition. Both shots penetrated both lungs and exited the animal.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Plz Share Your Hunting Plans/Stories.....

Keep em coming guys, great stories & a great thread... Keeps my blood running for "next time". Wish I could tell ya bout the bear my brother took with his bow on our farm back home, but I wern't there either, wish'd I could have seen his eyes.... Great bear pepper stix tho.....

Ric (Wyowhisper), you seriously need to start submitting articles. Your bear story a month or so was awesome....

Nodak

Member #92